31 | Confession

"What's with the face-to-face?" Toni asked, looking around at Trudy, Adam and Hank as we met behind the abandoned building.

"IRT supervisor called me this morning." Adam said.

"All right, tell me exactly what he said. Do not leave out one detail." Hank instructed.

"He said he wants to talk about the officer involved death from a few months ago. He said there's certain parts of my statement that aren't adding up." He replied.

"I thought the investigation
was cleared and closed, it was two months ago." I commented.

"It was."

"All right, Hank, enough is enough. This thing is on me. I need to tell the truth." Toni said.

"You know you can't do that, Antonio." Adam declined.

"I'm the one that killed the guy."

"Yeah, I know, we're the ones
that covered it up for you." Adam said.

"I didn't ask you to do that."

"Bro, you didn't have to. We weren't gonna let you go down so we rolled the dice. Now we've just got to see it through."

"All right, listen to me. The only reason IRT is going to reopen the investigation is by direct order of
Superintendent Kelton. So when do they want to see you?"

"Within the week."

"All right, just keep your heads down. Stay the course. Don't talk to anybody.
I know how to get in front of this."

We left the district, heading home. Diego was the only one awake, playing video games. Once he went to sleep, I took the time to talk to Antonio.

"I don't need a lecture.." he declared.

"Lose the attitude, Dawson, I just wanna talk."

"Well, I don't. I'm going to bed."

-

My eyes fluttered open to see a tray of food next to me, along with roses. Antonio sat at the end of the bed, smiling as he admired me.

"Before you say anything.. I just wanna say I'm sorry.." he started.

"I know things have been crazy and I apologize for what I've put you through and Eva.. I have my head on straight, I'm clean now.. you never have to worry about me going back to that stuff. I promise."

I stared at him, hoping I could believe him. Eva burst in with excitement, handing us her phone.

"Hey, don't throw me." Gabby yelled through the phone.

"Hey, sis! How's it going down there?"

"Man, it's beautiful. It's so amazing to see the smile on their face when they realize they are truly getting the help they deserve. This hurricane relief idea was smart.. how you been with everything?"

He glanced at Eva, giving a simple answer.

"Better, actually.."

"That's great, Antonio.. you should definitely check us out- hey, I gotta go." She quickly ended the call. Eva grabbed a piece of bacon, running out.

"Get dressed. Voight wants to meet with us."

We met near an abandoned building. Trudy and Hank looked at each other while Adam and Toni chatted before Hank spoke.

"We got a problem." Hank said.

"What's going on?"

"All right, look, the "Tribune" is ready
to publish an article bout Kelton covering up the serial killings, but the detective we need to verify the accusations, Leo Hernandez, he's in the wind."