Strangely Familiar

Tonight was about to be a very long night for Todd and Dirk. A night full of tears and pain from both of them. Both physically and emotionally. Todd was going to be completely drained of his spoons in the morning. Not a great thing when they have to stay up late the next night and probably run for their lives. Not to mention break the news to Robyn that their best friend was most likely the new leader of the Nova operation and she wasn't coming back.

But all of that was for tomorrow Dirk, Todd, and Farah to deal with. Tonight they just needed to focus on getting Todd through this.

Because Todd was not in a good place tonight. Not at all. And Dirk was going to be there through the whole thing.

Dirk unlocked the door to their apartment, Bean ran directly to the sofa and curled up with a long sigh. Todd sat down next to her, petting her head. He will admit, she was growing on him.

Dirk took off his jacket and loosened his tie a bit. He headed for the kitchen and poured a glass of water and handed it to Todd who took it with a grateful smile before sitting down next to him, wrapping his arm around his waist, pulling him as close as possible.

"How are you feeling?" Dirk said as he kissed the top of Todd's head.

"Shit," he replied through sleepy eyes.

"I don't think you've ever had an attack so perfectly timed," he smiled at Todd before looking at the wall, about to begin a Dirk ramble. "Other than when we were in Louisiana and Ken was chasing us and the portal opened, however, the portal could have opened because we needed it not because of the attack, or maybe it was Wakti! But seriously... bloody good coincidence-"

And then Todd grunted. He grabbed Dirk's shirt forcefully to stabilize himself.

"Todd, love, what's the matter?" He turned to him and his eyes widened when he saw the grimace of pain on his face which quickly turned to a scream. "Oh, fuck ."

He violently shook, almost seizing, unable to speak.

Bean perked up and moved closer to Todd, whining.

"Ok, ok, pills," he dug through his pockets before he pulled his hands back, "WAIT, oh shit it's too early to take more..." Dirk knew without having to ask what attack this one was. "It's electrocution again, isn't it?"

Todd struggled out a nod. Electrocution made up most of his attacks all thanks to his many experiences with it before he got the disease for real.

"Ok. We're going to have to sit this one through. Just a bit of electricity, nothing we aren't used to. At least you aren't on fire," he joked, Todd let out a pained smile. "Hey, there he is. That lovely smile for me, it's starting to fade isn't it?"

Todd nodded, still shaking, however.

"Ok, I've got you," Dirk said in a soothing voice. "I'm here, you're safe, I love you and I'm here."

And within a few moments, it was gone.

Todd loosened his grip on Dirk's shirt and sat up more, before burying his head into Dirk's shoulder and sitting silent. Regaining his composure.

Dirk looked confused but still supportive as he turned around to face Todd and pulled him in closer, holding his head close to him. "What's wrong?" He knew this wasn't the average post-attack-breakdown. He had a hunch something was different.

"I'm sorry," Todd said, muffled.

"Whatever for?"

"For being the way I am," he pulled back and looked into Dirk's soft blue eyes.