"Rooby Roo" It

Now, I bet you're wondering all sorts of things right now. Like, "What's the deal with Bean?" Or "Where is Cydney? Is she dead?" Or most importantly, "What is this case all about?!"

       Well, I can't give you the answer to any of those. Then we wouldn't have a book!

       But I think there is one last question on your mind, one I can answer; "What's the deal with Nova? What the fuck is it?"

       And that, dear reader, is a fantastic question.

       What the fuck is this shit?

       Nova was created by... actually no I can't answer that one. Not yet. You'll find out soon enough.

       Ok, let's try again. Nova is made from... damn it, I can't answer that one yet either!

       Third time's a charm.

       Nova is a drug that primarily alters the mind into a state of euphoric bliss. Much like MDMA. But unlike Molly, Nova has some killer side effects. And when I say killer, I mean killer . Not unlike our favorite drink, the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. It will leave you feeling like you've had your brains bashed in by a gold brick wrapped in a lemon slice once the high wears off. Not fun.

       Here's how it works:

       Nova is packaged in little vials with twist-off caps. You snort it like a nasal spray. Simple.

       The chemicals in Nova at this time are unknown to the public and to health officials, but not unknown to the makers of it of course. And they will remain unknown to you for the time being.

       What they do know, what you will know?

       Nova supplies dopamine and serotonin to the brain, just like any other drug. But some other substance used in it makes the mind more suggestible, more malleable, and it can make you trip as well, see and hear things.

       And when coming off of the high, it is very unpleasant. Cue the Gargle Blaster feeling.

       You feel like you'll puke your intestines out. Light, sounds, shapes, and reality fold and contract in a tesseract, crushing your body like Waktin from Star War. Your head might as well explode. Your entire body is in excruciating pain.

       And the only way to relieve this... is by taking more.

       But here's the thing. It's not out of your system fully yet, so when you add more, the amount builds and builds. And even as it wears off, it sticks to itself, it grows and grows, lingering and refusing to wear off the more you take. And this is what leads to the easy fatal overdose we see so prevalent. Like what happened to Margaret.

       This is why we have a pandemic on our hands.

       So if this case could lead them to taking down the makers of Nova. They would gladly do it. Spoiler alert: They do. But not in the way you think.

       Farah had just seen that distinct vial out of the corner of her eye. She turned and saw a thin, tall man with curly blonde hair and large glasses holding the vial leaning up against the brick wall, taking some money from a couple who were in for a rude awakening.

       She took out her phone and snapped a picture of him and texted Dirk and Todd. Nothing.

       Goddamnit , I'm going to lose him!

         She texted them again. Nothing.

       And he was gone.

       She called them. Both rang out and went to voicemail.