Something Human

Bean was healthy, she had no owner, so after a few vaccines, she was theirs.

      Dirk was, no need to say this, beyond excited.

      She was a good dog, strangely well behaved for a stray. She was quiet and calm. She followed Dirk around everywhere. Todd even asked if she might be a holistic dog, which Dirk responded to by saying, "Don't be ridiculous," but he couldn't shake the feeling too.

       So they got everything they needed and spent the rest of the day on the couch with her until it was time to get ready for the club. 

       Todd dug through some boxes in the back of their coat closet that was filled to the brim with colorful leather jackets.

       "Have you ever been to a club, Dirk?" He said, not moving his head. Focused on finding some stuff from his band days that would be suitable.

        "No, I don't think I have." He responded from the bed with Bean laying on top of him.

        "It's a lot like The Sound of Nothing. Except some people are already under the love spell, it's louder, darker, smells like sweat and almost everyone is drunk."

        "Sounds lovely." He remarked sarcastically without a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "I don't see why you have to make such a mess."

       Todd turned around to see he had, indeed, made a mess. Piles of shoes and spare coats that laid on the floor to make room for Dirk's collection. We all have that one closet. Important cardboard boxes in the back and random shit piled on top and in front of it.

        "We have to blend in, look like regulars. I'm looking for my old band stuff."

       Dirk perked up immediately.

       He had only seen new Todd, and part of him really wanted to see what old Todd may have looked like.

       He had started painting his nails again but that was about it. He wanted to see full punk Todd. He wanted to see... what's that thing he likes again? His favorite album of theirs... "Three Sweet Avengers"? Avenge era? No, that's not right. No matter. He wanted to see "avenge era" Todd. For a soft ball of sunshine, he found the image of his boyfriend with red eyeshadow and black x's over his eyes oddly alluring. He wasn't exactly sure why the first look that came to mind was Francis Lero's, Francine Iroh wasn't even Todd's favorite. Gerold Wayfinder was. Something about Dirk and George both being cinnamon rolls?

       He had been learning more about alt and punk, and he actually liked it. It was something they bonded over.

       Every once and a while, Todd would play "DESTROYA" to annoy him. And sometimes, it backfired. The drums didn't send Dirk recoiling, in fact, it did the exact opposite. And if you know what I mean, you know what I mean. And either reaction resulted in a happy Todd.

       "And that means no button-downs," Todd continued. "Found it!"

       He sifted through the box's contents. Lots of black. Mostly black. Glimpses of silver metal studs caught the light. And every once and while some colored ties or belts or... things... made their way into view.

        Todd pulled out what he considered to be an acceptable outfit and grabbed an old eyeliner pencil from the bottom of the box.

        Dirk tried to distract himself and grabbed his Mexican Funeral shirt and a pair of blue jeans he saved for lazy Sundays. Plus he wanted a full reveal.

        After Dirk was dressed he turned around to see Todd clad in a pair of ripped jeans and a plain black tee with distressed holes on the shoulders and hem, his belt with a line of silver pyramid studs.