8

Tom sat in his car and watched the sun rise. Whail his shift ended almost 30 minutes  ago but he felt far too tired to drive.

Far off in the distance of the rising sun three or four aircraft carriers grazed over the skyline giving Tom a rather uneasy feeling.

It was far too close to the ground, were they crashing?

He hadn't seen a craft like that in this town seince the war nearly 17 years ago.

He was only a tot but the memories of those horrid planes followed him.

The red army they were called, and they were strong and had a bone to pick with all of Europe.

They weren't Nazi's though so that was a plus

The amount of people lining the streets was also quite unusual for this time of day.

He was out of the loop due to working so often but he chalked the people and the crafts to an air show.

They usually had one around this time of year.
As much as he wanted to stay and watch, the idea of a giant metal thing hovering above him with a science that he didn't understand freaked him out a little too great.

With that he pulled himself out of the parking garage and tailed it home.

Toms car pulled into the driveway nearly hitting the mail box.
He ran into the door removing his dirty scrubs and found that edd and Matt hadn't even left their rooms yet.

Once he was showered and well relaxed in his pajamas on the couch, bowl of cereal in hand, and blanket over shoulders.

He turned on the TV and began scanning the channels, picking a half way finished episode of SpongeBob with great joy he began eating his food.

The morning was rather peaceful other than those planes in the horizon creeping closer by the second.

He peeked out the window to see that those planes had gotten lower and closer to the hospital.

Suddenly the TV came alive with an emergency signal wand words in blue floating across the top of the TV screen.

Tom flopped down on the couch and turned the TV to listen expecting the emergency signal to be a test like they did every three months but was shock to hear the message that the TV let out

'residents of the western county seek shelter immediately as a-'

The TV went blank, then the lights went out and the dish washer fell quiet.

Then a low rumbling shook the house knocking paintings off the walls and Ringo began frantically running around the house.

He grabbed his phone and tried to call his sister but the phone towers were out and so was everything else.

Whoever was in those planes must've taken out the power plant and cell tower communication center.

Tom ran back over to the window and saw in the distance, miles and miles away was a tall billowing tower of smoke in the air, four of them.

All in places in town that were critical to their economy.

The power plant

The main hospital

The bank

And the Citys law building

In the distance he saw one of the planes decend from the sky and drop down in a school yard from the hill the house was seated on.

It was a good hour walk away but the fact it was close to him was horrifying enough.

Tom, wacthing all of this happen was trying to think of where they should go.