Chapter 6: anxiety

Kali's pov

We approached the diner and I was praising Jesus.
Being in close spaces for too long make me nervous. Being in cars scare me too. Doctors told me I can't get my license back for another 9 months at least.

The sherif wanted to lock me up for causing harm in public but my doctor told him I needed help first, and since no one got hurt...well except me, but I almost see my accident like a blessing. But anyways, the sherif let me off with a warning and a small fee but it's okay. I plan on working it off once I get my business license back. They told me I was too destructive and fragile to work now. The gang mostly and my doctors.

This past month I've been sleeping at the Curtis'. They're great. I love being in the same house as soda, but I need my space. I never, ever get to be alone. No matter how happy I am, they say I mean too much.

"Honey. Honey." Soda waved his hand in front of my face.
"We are here" he opened the car door for me and helped me out. I released a breath I didn't even realize I was holding. My shoulders tense, soda began to rub them.
"Just breathe Kali iris. I'm here for you. Just breathe." I turned around and kissed him.
"Thank you" I smiled.

Darry opened the door to the dingo for us and we spotted the gang very quickly. I sat next to soda and Twobit.

"How was therapy?" Twobit whispered. We have became great friends since soda and I began to date. Someone had to fill in my best friend slot. I gave Twobit a thumbs up. He hugged me tight. My breathing quickened, Twobit didn't notice.

Tears prickled in my eyes.
"Twobit! Let go!" Steve yelled from across the table.

I was released and instantly I hid my face. A lonely tear came down my face so I placed my elbows on the table and hands over my eyes.
I inhaled then exhaled. And repeated In dead silence. I knew everyone was staring at me. Sodas hand rubbed my back in circles.

See I can't be physically left alone for two seconds. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Sodapop. But sometimes I need my space. I spent four years of my life alone 85% of the time and now when I'm taking a shower someone sits on the toilet to keep me company.

I can't tell if it's just making my anxiety worse or not.

The gang was silent for about ten minutes.
I looked up and grabbed my spoon to look at my reflection and wiped the mascara from under my eyes.
I looked around the table, dally and Johnny were whispering and mostly everyone else was awkwardly looking at the ground or in another direction.
"Guys. I'm okay. It don't need to be so silent " you could really hear my southern accent in that statement.
They all lifted their heads. Sodapop grabbed my hand from under the table.
Still silence.
"Listen boys, I'm never going to get better unless you treat me like a normal person" my voice rose and then fell. I rubbed the back of my neck. My back was sore too. Well technically the couch isn't a great spot to sleep.

"What's up?" Steve asked. He caught my rubbing my neck.
"Just, the couch is getting a little rough to sleep on, you dig?" I looked down at my feet.

"Hey um Kali." Dally called me from the end of the table.
"Yeah?" I glanced down at him.
"Bucks got a spare room, he says you an have it since it's just sitting there" I smiled.
"Really?" I jumped up and hugged dally.
"Thank you" I whispered. Then I was shaken off.
"I don't do hugs" he kept his tough guy act and gave me a hand up and a sly smile.
"Woah woah woah watch out soda. Dally's gonna get your girl" Twobit yelled louder than necessary.
"He better not be" soda joked.
"You know I'm yours" I kissed soda's cheek.
People rolled their eyes. Soda and I try not to have too much pda. It can be too much sometimes. We decided we didn't want to always be all up on one another and just enjoy each other's company.
"Oh please people" I giggled and say back down and sucked down my coke.
"I don't know if I like you being so far away from me" soda told me. I nodded. "But I can't sleep in your room and the couch is getting unbearable." I whined. "Anyways Dally's got my back" I placed my hand on his leg.
"Hey we're going to the movies, y'all wanna come?" Pony asked us. Movies to me are boring. When I'm by myself for too long or it's quiet, thins get to me. I don't know it's just weird.

Once we were done it grew darker outside. Johnny, pony and I were told to wait by the table because Darry was getting the car with Twobit, soda and Steve went to the restroom and dally was gonna go find a broad to mess with at the movies. I don't care, it's Dallas but I just hate seeing girls disrespected.

Johnny and pony were talking quietly and continually looked and pointed over to a red head in a few booths over. I turned around to see he guys getting rallied up. The red head, I believed her name was Sherri, but people call her cherry, because of her hair. Personally I think we should call her Cheery because she has way to much energy for me. Well anyways cherry waved at pony and Johnny and that's when I heard the boys lose their temper. I was just picking at my thumb nail when the diner got quiet. Almost too quiet. I felt hands touch my shoulders, at first I thought it was soda but it wasn't. These hands were cold and dry with a texture of rough skin. And by the fear in Ponyboy's eyes I could tell it was not even close to Sodapop. I winced as he squeezed my shoulders tighter and got closer to my neck.

"Hey get off her" Johnny tried to defend me. Once again I began to quicken my breathing.
The two boys noticed.
"Why don't we take this outside, away from the girls" pony offered, even though he knew he would get crushed to the pulp. But he could tell I was having a panic attack, a bad one. Tears formed in my eyes.
"Here take me money" pony threw a few coins at the soc.
"Really? You could never bribe me with money. I could buy the whole east side and still have enough to have an easy life. I'm rich" he snickered at pony. It was a nice, but honestly a stupid offer.
"Please, let her go" Johnny pleaded.
"You mess with our girl. We mess with yours" he wrapped his arms around my neck.

Pony ran to the bathroom and Johnny followed. Gee thanks.
Blue spots began to form, I was getting no air and couldn't hear a sound. My vision grew fuzzier. I felt like I was about to die.

Cherry began to hit Bob's arm but he wouldn't budge.
I was being shaken around but I could see
some fierce movement and then blackness.

A/n
So what do you guys think? I'm getting some classic stuff in there.