20

Chapter 20

Fikayo walked out of the Principal's office and sat down near the gate while holding her hands together. One of the drivers were apparently going to come and get down.

Instead of been really happy she was leaving this hell hole in form of a school for at least a few days; Fikayo found herself rather too calm for the whole ordeal.

After spending a month and quarter at Alele Government School;Fikayo didn't know what to say about the school or the students.

They were different very different. They were different from her classmates at her former school. Fikayo wondered if she would be able to ever go back. Deep down she missed Calixta and Amarachi.

She wondered if they even missed her at all. They apparently didn't miss her since she always treated them badly.

"Someone's coming to pick you up?" A voice asked as Fikayo turned to see Hakeem. She swallowed her saliva as the latter sat down beside her.

"Huh?" Hakeem asked again as he turned to Fikayo.

"Yes. My dad's driver is coming" Fikayo replied as she played with her fingers.

"You must be really excited to go home" Hakeem said as Fikayo chuckled.

"Of course. I'm tired of this hell hole. I tired of this place. I'm so glad I'm going home" Fikayo replied and Hakeem laughed.

"I heard what happened" Hakeem said as Fikayo turned to him with a frown.

"The girls came to report me to you?" Fikayo asked as Hakeem laughed and shook his head.

"Its you nah. They didn't have to report to me. Anything that concerns you always travel around the school fast" Hakeem replied as Fikayo snorted.

"So? You came to laugh at me or you came to talk to me or something?" Fikayo asked as Hakeem narrowed his eyes at Fikayo.

"Why do you always think people are on to you?" Hakeem asked as Fikayo pursed her lips.

"Because almost everyone I've met is always on to me" Fikayo replied as she pursed her lips again and sat back in the cemented chair and stared at her feet.

"At least there are few people who aren't on to you and I am one of them okay?" Hakeem said as Fikayo snorted.

"Why should I trust you?" Fikayo asked as Hakeem wore a soft smile.

"At least trust yourself" Hakeem replied as Fikayo glanced at him as she started playing with the edge of her uniform.

"Stop treating them like that" Hakeem said slowly as Fikayo turned to him.

"Them?" She asked and Hakeem nodded.

"Yes. The girls. They are your friends. Nobody treats their friends that way" Hakeem said as Fikayo got angry.

"Friends? When did I say they are my friends? They are not my friends! And I don't like them!" Fikayo yelled.

"But they take you as their friend! They treat you nicely. The least you can do is to treat them politely as well" Hakeem said trying to make Fikayo reason.

"Why should I treat them politely? It wouldn't do me any good though" Fikayo said as Hakeem rubbed his forehead.

"Because they treat you as their friend. It doesn't matter if you don't treat them the same. As long as they do; anything you do will affect and hurt them" Hakeem said as he sighed.

"And from what I know and see, Fikayo; they are definitely not on to you. They want nothing from you maybe they want friendship and trust from you but that's not too much to want from someone it is?" Hakeem asked as Fikayo turned to him in fury.

"Are you critizing me now? Are you saying I'm at fault now?" Fikayo asked as Hakeem stared at her blankly.

A black Range over drove into the school at that moment and Fikayo stood up a stoic expression still on her face.

"I don't want to trust you" Fikayo said as she grabbed her box and stood up. Hakeem quickly stood up and grabbed her arm freezing Fikayo in her steps.

"What do you want?" Fikayo asked and Hakeem chuckled and sighed.

"I want nothing from you Fikayo. I want nothing from you. I just want you to be fine and to be yourself" Hakeem said slowly as Fikayo stared at him in a daze.

She broke her arm from his grip as she wore a bigger frown.

"What do you mean? I'm fine and I am myself. I don't know what you are talking about" Fikayo said as she walked towards the car and opened the door.

She pushed the box into the car and stopped as she attempted to get into the car as she turned to Hakeem.

"When are you going home? Where is your house? I'll ask the driver to drop you off" Fikayo said trying to keep a frown on her face.

"My house is not far from here so I can walk. I'm not going home now, I still have a few things to finish at school so you can go. Don't worry about me" Hakeem replied as Fikayo snorted.

"Who's worrying about you? Bye bye!" She said as she got into the car. The driver reversed before he drove out of the compound.

Fikayo closed her eyes as adjusted to the cold atmosphere in the car. When last did she get an AC over her head? She smiled as she welcomed the cold breeze blowing in the car.

She played with her fingers as she thought of everything Hakeem had said. There were very few people who could stand her and with Hakeem; the number had increased.

No matter what she did, how angry she got; the words she said to him? He wouldn't get angry at her. He would still talk to her with the same tone as if he wasn't bothered by her attitude.

His words rang in her ears and Fikayo shifted uncomfortably on her seat.

"I want nothing from you Fikayo. I want nothing from you. I just want you to be fine and to be yourself"

Did he see through her already? Fikayo shook her head resolutely. No one had been able to do that for years, even her own parents.

As the driver drove into the familiar streets of her neighborhood; Fikayo smiled. She was home.