9》

Chap 9

By the next morning, Female Hostel 3 could hear yells coming from a particular girl. The SSS3 students and the prefects ignored her while the SSS2 students could only shout curses back at her.

Fikayo was mortified to learn that there was no hot water and had to use a chilling cold water to bath. For Christ sake, it was October!

What was more, she had to draw water from the well to bathe and wash clothes. Fikayo had never done that before. Since she didn't know, she hadn't fetched water the previous day.

After much struggle and yellings, Fikayo managed to take her bath. She wore another pair of uniform and managed to squeeze her uniform before drying it.

Naomi was the one in charge of their clothes at home. Fikayo didn't even know if she washed them or used the washing machine.

Fikayo reported at the principal's office with a dark face. She refused to go to the dinning hall again. She had stuffed herself with cookies and Fikayo had noted that the cookies were running out.

"Good morning" the principal said with a smile.

"Good morning sir" Fikayo greeted.

The principal pointed to a pile of textbooks and notebooks. "Those are yours, do take them along when you are going" he said and Fikayo pointed at the pile.

"I'm supposed to carry these alone?" Fikayo asked.

"Its yours who else is supposed to carry it?" The principal asked as he suppressed his laughter at Fikayo's dark expression.

"I heard about what you did yesterday and this morning" the principal said as Fikayo frowned.

"How come the school can't provide simple hot water?" Fikayo asked.

"Listen well and good. Haven't you realized the situation which you are in? Right now you are a nobody's daughter and you are attending one of the many private schools in Lagos. You are not bigger or better than anyone here" the principal stated as Fikayo swallowed her saliva.

"I really hope you find yourself Fikayo. Here at AGS" the principal added as they both heard a knock.

"Come in" the principal said and Fikayo watched as an extremely attractive boy walk into the office.

A chocokate skinned boy walked inside. His hair was slightly short and brushed to a side. His face flawless without blemish. He had high cheekbones and a slightly crooked nose that only added to his attractiveness.

Fikayo had never seen such an handsome boy before. He and Maryorkun; she didn't know who was more handsome.

Fikayo swallowed her saliva as she peeled her eyes from him and faced the principal.

"Fikayo, this is Hakeem. He's a scholarship student with honors. The very best student in SSS2. He'll help you adjust to school" the principal said with a smile as Fikayo frowned.

"Help me adjust? I can adjust just well sir" Fikayo said as the principal frowned.

"From what I've seen, you aren't adjusting at all" the principal said as he turned to Hakeem.

"I'm handing her over to you" the principal said.

"Hello, my name is Hakeem. Nice to meet you" Hakeem said with a small smile revealing a small dimple that made Fikayo dazzled.

"I'll help you with your books" Hakeem said as he pried off the textbook from the pile and motioned for Fikayo to carry the other.

They both walked out of the principal's office without a word. Hakeem walked in front of her without a word.

His thoughts went back to the discussion he had with the principal the day before. He had to help Fikayo adjust to school and his scholarship would be continued and infact might have an opportunity to study abroad.

He was surprised but accepted even though he knew well that he could still get numerous scholarships without anyone's help.

Joyce stood up and walked up to Hakeem as he walled into the class.

"Hakeem, what are you doing here?" Joyce asked gleefully. Her eyes were shining and Fikayo snickered.

"I helped Fikayo with her books" Hakeem said and Joyce froze stunned as she turned to Fikayo who dropped her books with a bang on the table.

"What?" Fikayo asked Joyce with a snicker.

"Did you ask him to carry your books for you?" Joyce asked.

Fikayo felt her palm suddenly itching her. Its been long she slapped someone.

"Are you mad? The sky is too nice today for me to start exchanging words with someone that uses MaClean toothpaste" Fikayo said and the class rorared with laughter.

Hakeem raised his eyebrow at Fikayo. Apart from her sharp mouth she had an extremely sensitive nose. It wasn't until she mentioned it that he realized that Joyce actually used MaClean.

"As if its not MaClean you are using too" Joyce retorted.

"Ehn? Girl, you no difference between MaClean and Pepsodent?" Fikayo asked as she hissed.

"You are just stupid anyhow" Fikayo grimaced as she sat down.

"How will you make him carry your books for you? You are too much!" Joyce said knowing that everyone will agree with her on that matter.

The girls started talking and Fikayo bangedghe table shutting them all up. Even Hakeem shook slightly before glaring at Fikayo.

"You want to receive slap?" Fikayo said as she stood up menacingly.

Hakeem dropped the notes in his hands as he turned to Fikayo.

"Take a chill pill. Don't me so aggressive" Hakeem said as he turned to Joyce.

"She didn't ask me to. I helped her on my own. Don't start speculating things" Hakeem said as Joyce's eyes widened in surprise.

"I'll come and get you during break" Hakeem said to Fikayo before he slowly exited the class.

Everyone turned to Fikayo in horror. What was going on exactly?!

Tiolu couldn't believe his ears and kept circling Hakeem.

"Why did you agree?" Tiolu asked as Hakeem rubbed his head angrily.

"Stop circling around me nah" Hakeem complained as Tiolu stopped.

"I don't understand Principal Ola's logic. You can as well get a scholarship on your own to an American university without help" Tiolu said as Hakeem shrugged his shoulders.

"You never know what that old man is thinking" Michael said with a yawn.