Chapter 14

The next day

"Darwin!!" Said Draco, catching up to the Hufflepuff as she left the Great Hall after breakfast.

"Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be."

"Well, last night you..." He shook his head. "Listen, what I said to you was wrong. You were right Adele, I was living in fear. But I'm not anymore. I don't care what my father says, what my so called friends say, I want to be with you. I promise to be loyal to you because... well, I love you."

Adele's expression remained untroubled, her eyes met his passively.

"You shouldn't be."

"What? Why not, I told you, my loyalties lie with you now! I know I was wrong to push you away, I promise, I won't ever do that again."

"You should get the dark mark Draco, it's what you were born to do. Forget about me."

Draco took a step back, puzzled at her blunt response. Had she guessed that it was his duty to become a death eater? He supposed it wasn't that hard to work out, if she'd thought it through, logically.

"Someone I know once told me that we choose our own path," He smiled at her. "I choose you Adele. I want you."

"Well I don't want you." She replied blankly.

"You- what?"

"I don't want you. I need to go now."

She walked straight ahead to class, leaving Draco dumbfounded.

Later, the library

"What exactly are we looking for?" Georgia asked as she picked up yet another box of archives.

"Names," Said Kiara, incessantly scribbling. "We need a list of people who were at The Thistlers Inn on July 17th, 1977."

"Right," Georgia answered, beginning to empty the box's contents. "And um... why?"

"There was an undercover meeting for the Dark Lord's followers there that night."

"You're trying to work out who could be an ally of his in secret?"

"Precisely."

"I dunno Ki, it seems far fetched. What if they were under the imperious curse, like Mad Eye was talking about?"

"People under the imperious curse don't attend meetings G, they follow orders."

"I guess. Is Hermione coming, by the way?"

"She said she was sorting out a fight between Harry and Ron again. Poor girl is going to need to start therapist training pretty soon. Has Adele talked to you today?"

"No, she's still so weird. At breakfast she-"

Georgia was cut off by Draco, who made himself known by throwing his bag on the table from such a distance it nearly caused it to topple over completely. He sat with a loud thud, his face red with intensity.

"Draco?" Kiara peered at her cousin. "What's wrong? Did you find Adele?"

"Yup." He replied, staring at the parchment in-front of him.

"And? What did she say?"

"She said she doesn't want to be with me."