Waltz of Vendetta

ii. Thorned Throne 👑

The orbs of the night proudly shine as the sky is now clear and unclouded

The orbs of the night proudly shine as the sky is now clear and unclouded. The moonlight is filtered through the curtain, perfectly highlighting her soft features with its glorious silvery glow. The window is opened, perhaps by the gusty winds. Her rich brunette locks flowing, gracefully framed her fair face. The woman upon him is too blinding, making him gladly surrender under her spell. Her sharp amber eyes are glittering with tears, somehow resembling autumn dusk.

"What is stopping you ?" he asks as he reaches for her cold trembling hand.

"Do it " he calmly reassures her with his low velvety voice.

She can smell her favourite citrus fragrance in the air, blended with the warm coppery scent from the liquid that drips through the tip of the two-edged dagger as it slowly taints her pale hand with its scarlet tint. The tears that's been threatening to fall finally drop as she can feel his delicate hand cupping her face. His touch is so soft as if he's holding a fragile flower, afraid his fingers would hurt her.

Letting her tears flow, she closed her eyes, not daring to spare a glance to his fond stare that could possibly bury the vendetta she sought in the name of Adelaide. It's all for the thorned throne, all because of their greed. She was just a mere chess piece that apparently stuck in the middle of the war. She foolishly moves on the chessboard her family set for her, not knowing the cost for the 'checkmate' is her love.

"Would you honour me by being my dance partner? " Her voice sounds muffled as she carefully asks him.

Out of the blue? yes, she knows. She can't do it, she'll fail in this mission. She won't admit it though. The future for her seems too vague, she can't even imagine how tomorrow's dawn would look like and this dance is probably her last wish before the sun rises and brings what may.

" It would be my pleasure, my lady." His signature smirks are apparent, perfectly crafted on his kissable lips. She can't hide her shocked expression from his sharp eyes. Never she expect he'll agree with her rather weird wish.

....................

He let out a chuckle that almost sounds like a sneer. After all of that, she comes up smelling like a rose, innocently asks for a dance. Indeed he's fond of this dangerous woman, how can he refuse? The forgotten dagger is tossed aside, resonating the clinking noise as it hits the marble floor. Her blood-stained hand reaches his big warm hand as they naturally get in the position.

There are no grand orchestras or the melodious waltz that accompany their step, nor are they in the magnificent ballroom with glorious chandeliers. The only source of light in the room is from the cool moon that's glowing alone, illuminating the darkness, and the only things they could hear is their own rapid heartbeats drumming through their ears. They dance and dance, keeping their dainty steps steady. Ignoring their sore arches as their breath gets shaky.

His deep obsidian eyes greet her sight as she opened her eyes. Those eyes have the same loving stare that echoes their countless happy times. The same eyes that bewitched her on their first thrilling encounter. Their exchanged gaze lasts for a long time, expressing a thousand emotions and thoughts without needing any of them to speak. They're completely lost, drowning in each other's intoxicated love.

The collar of his white custom-made shirt is now as red as her satin nightdress. All thanks to the small cut she unintentionally made while ironically trying to end him. They both know and expect something like this to happen sooner or later. But if he can be honest, he hopes they'll have more time together, maybe until kingdom come. Even so, their red thread of fate is twisted from the start. Who knows their first meeting that seems like serendipity would lead them to dance as each other's nemesis tonight.

After what it seems like an eternity, their step slowly stopped. He closes their gap by pressing their foreheads together, gently rubbing their nose as they let their hot breath brush each other's faces. The warm air filled the room as they share a heartfelt and passionate kiss. Their tears are on each other's cheek slowly trailing down to their chin.

"Serene...." her name sounds breathy as he whispers it.

She put her silky palm on his chest feeling his frantic heartbeat that rhymes with hers, that's when the epiphany struck her.

She finally realizes that now.
She realizes that if his heart stopped,
hers would too.

....................

She can feel her tears trickling down on the corner of her eyes as she faintly hears the constant beeping sound and rushing footsteps coming closer. The light on the ceiling is too bright, she can't seem to open her eyelids. Her body is so heavy, she wants to get up but only managed to lift her fingers. After all the struggle she finally opens her eyes.

Everything is blurry, yet, she knows there are a couple of people around her in this pure white room. The one that's crying on the corner is probably her mom and besides her is his dad. There are two nurses on her right and one doctor that's towering over her probably trying to read her vital signs. Her sight is still hazy, however, she can smell a strong familiar citrus fragrance with a hint of antiseptic smell, the classic hospital smell that somehow helps her regain her consciousness. It took her a while to realize it's come from the sweet caramel-haired doctor in front of her. As soon everything looks clearer she blurted out the unfamiliar name from her dry throat, bringing confusion to everyone, especially to the doctor.

"Jimmy ?"

"You..........."

"Have we met before, miss ?"

(24 Dec 2020|2100)

....................
T

hanks to my little sis  @/dkdln_ on tiktok for making the "teaser"😂