Illusions

He'd be lying if he said Lumine didn't strike him at first, but after spending a month's time with her, he soon realized he saw her as nothing more than a challenging opponent.

The time spent with her only made him long to be by your side exploring Teyvat together.

Lumine was merely a testament to his love for you, as even the sound of a new rival couldn't make his heart race as fast as it did around you.

——————————————————

It truly hit him when he saw you get hurt fighting off the treasure hoarders that day in Tianqiu Valley, when he was begging Lumine to babysit his little brother while he was busy.

He was about to excuse himself to go and help you, but by the time he finally convinced Teucer, the treasure hoarders were defeated and you were gone.

Feeling guilty that he had let you get injured on your own, he went to treat you out the next day. He ended up missing his chance and took Lumine out instead, as thanks for looking out for his brother while he was busy.

The jealousy he felt, however, when he saw you conversing and dining with Zhongli like old friends was equivalent to the adrenaline he'd get when engaging in battle.

The letters he sent home mentioning Lumine were only a reflection of a moment's infatuation with her. Don't be fooled, however, for as many times he'd mention Lumine, your name would appear twice as much.

If only you knew about the dozens of letters his siblings received in hopes to familiarize them with the thought of you being apart of their family in the coming future.

A future that won't exist.