~Chapter XI~

I just wanted to say, in this chapter, Galadriel's telepathy will also be in italics. It should be fairly obvious when it's Vana and when it's Galadriel, though.

The Fellowship walked through the majestic Mellyrn. The Hobbits looked around in awe.

Gimli spoke. "Stay close young hobbits! They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods, an Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her, fall under her spell..."

Vana heard a whisper in her mind.

"You carry a great burden.... Much evil has entered my lands...."

She looked around for a source of the whispers, then realised it was her Grandmother. She visibly brightened.

"...and are never seen again." Gimli finished.

Frodo stopped walking.

"Mr. Frodo!" Sam said, waving a hand in front of his face.

Frodo came out of his daze and started walking again.

Vana noticed they were being surrounded. She nudged Aragorn, but he didn't get the hint.

"Well, here's one Dwarf she won't ensnare so easily." Gimli said. "I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

Suddenly, Gimli had an arrow pointed towards him. Lórien Elves appeared from behind the trees, aiming at the others as well. The Fellowship stopped and looked around, alarmed.

"Told you so."

"The Dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark." Said the leader, who Vana recognised as Haldir.

Gimli muttered something unrepeatable.

"Haldir o Lórien. Henion aníron, boe ammen i dulu lîn. Boe ammen veriad lîn." (Haldir of Lórien, we come here for help. We need your protection). Said Aragorn, before anyone else could say anything.

Gimli looked at the arrows pointing at him without moving. "Aragorn, these woods are perilous! We should go back." He said.

"You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood." Said Haldir, sternly. "You cannot go back. Come, she is waiting."

********

As evening set in, Haldir stood with the Fellowship in one of the great trees.

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion." He said to Legolas. (Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil).

"Govannas vîn gwennen le, Haldir o Lórien." Legolas replied. (Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lórien).

Haldir turned to Aragorn. "A Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen." (And Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us).

"Haldir." Said Aragorn.

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can all understand!" Said Gimli, impatient at the constant Elvish.

"We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days." Said Haldir.

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" (I spit upon your grave!)

"That was not so courteous." Said Aragorn, pushing him back.

Haldir walked up to Frodo.

"You bring great evil with you." He said to him. He turned to the Fellowship. "You can go no further."

Sam and Pippin looked accusingly at Frodo. Aragorn quietly argued with Haldir, attempting to get him to let the Fellowship into Lothlórien.

"Gandalf's death was not in vain." Boromir said to Frodo. "Nor would he have you give up hope. You carry a heavy burden, Frodo. Don't carry the weight of the dead."