XXXVII

╔══════════════ - ˏˋ ♛ ˊˎ - ══════════════╗

BE MY VOICE IN THIS PRESENT DARKNESS

﹙ chapter thirty-seven ﹚

╚══════════════ - ˏˋ ♛ ˊˎ - ══════════════╝

My voice drowned out in the thunder

『 ▶ Shake It Off (Florence +The Machine) 』

"Wait!" Legolas ran right after her. "You will not run from me again."

Vana didn't stop. She had no intention of doing so any time soon. She headed toward the large doors.

"You will not run from me," he repeated more loudly, still chasing her. "You will explain what you have done."

Vana sill ran away from him. Legolas was faster and stronger than she, giving her a limited amount of time before he inevitably caught up. She didn't really know the way back to her room, so that was out. Out of the window, she saw the Houses of Healing, adjoined to the palace. Vana headed headed there, thinking he would not do anything too hasty in a place where silence and order prevailed.

As soon as she had gotten out into the open she ran to the Houses of Healing and practically threw herself through the doors. The place was very quiet, with the only sounds being those which she made herself. Legolas was right behind her, and she ran up the first flight of stairs she saw. This led into another open hall. Vana opened the first door she saw and went in as quickly (and as quietly) as she could.

She couldn't hear Legolas's footsteps, but she knew he entered the hall right about when she shut the door. She turned around to face the bed, and saw a elderly woman sitting up in bed, looking at her in complete confusion. She had one hand holding a book open, and the other rested on the coverlet, swathed in bandages.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

Vana made a hushing motion, putting her finger to her lips, and shook her head. Please don't make noise, please don't make noise...

She heard Legolas curse under his breath and a few minutes later a door slammed. The woman just looked at her, scared out of her wits. "Who are you? You don't belong here, you're no healer. You're no Gondorian."

That stung, although it was said with no bad intentions.

Vana saw writing materials on the table and went for them. I'm sorry for all of this, she wrote to the lady in the Common Speech, I'm a visitor and not everyone likes me.

The lady read it slowly. "I was never much of a reader," she whispered, sounding out the letters. When she was finished, she looked at Vana. "You can come back here any time. I'm not moving for a while." She gave a croaky laugh and flipped her sheets to the side, exposing her right leg. Or, rather, where it used to be.

"Falling rocks," she said. "The healers don't come in here much, just to give me food and change my dressings."

Vana didn't know what to say. She had known people were injured, but it hadn't bothered her so much until now. Was this her fault, too? Sauron had attacked early because of her, hadn't he?