Chapter 9: I have always been so jealous of Lucien.

Skylar's P.O.V:

I knew had to stop one day, I knew I had to stop playing pretend.

Pretending that I was...a lawyer, an innocent teen when I was an ex-assassin, a machine programmed to kill, owned by people who still might be alive.

I had to stop pretending that I wasn't his sister when I was.

The man I paid to be my legal guardian so it would look normal was just killed, eyes carved out and fingers shoved down the throat, a bullet through the middle of the brain.

Worse, Lucien after all these years had signed a letter stating he wanted to be my guardian again and the social services network is broke as it is, so they did not hesitate.

But the worst? I was just subpoenaed by Thomas Soloff.

I had to appear in court day after meaning tomorrow, I was going to have to admit it in the trial run because a family member abandoning other in time of need is not exactly jury winning material.

I could commit perjury, of course, it's not like I haven't done any worse.

"Sorellina? (little sister)" I heard a familiar voice and I felt like crying in relief.

"Axel" I hugged the guy standing at the door tightly and he wrapped his arms around me in a warm embrace.

"Where have you been?" I mumbled softly

"You do realise you can never really escape this life, once an assassin, always an assassin."

"Doesn't answer my question."

"Making sure people from the underworld stayed away from you, and other times I was away on missions."

"Couldn't make time for me even in 3 years."

"Since when did you become sentimental?" He said rocking us back and forth gently.

"I don't know? Since I realised how much I missed your annoying presence."

"You seriously haven't killed anyone in 3 years?"

"2 years" I said closing my eyes enjoying the closeness and sense of safety I got from my foster, human trafficked brother.

Yeah, both of us were sold.

"Who'd you kill 2 years ago?"

"There was this really annoying person named Matt Donovan."

"Oh yeah...you sliced his neck?"

"Ran over him with a car...still two years of not killing anyone, new record!" I said as we finally pulled away.

"What's wrong ?" He asked following me in my pent-house.

"This" I passed him all three pieces of paper.

He read each one, his eyebrows furrowed.

"This one seems the problem, I don't understand what is the problem with the subpoena or guardianship."

"How do you suggest we take care of the guardianship business?" I asked as he took out pasta and put it on the stove turning to face me.

"We can change your identity again, make fake death certificates, nothing we haven't done before."

"I know, this is different."

"How?" He asked before realising

"You wanna play pretend longer don't you, Lil' sis?" He answered turning so that his back faced me as he cooked