Chapter 5 Powers?

"But what powers?" I look from Byron to Ian who smiles.

     "You have been using them unconsciously almost since you got here this morning." Seth interjects, "every time you sense a tense or unhappy emotion you take a breath and calm yourself trying to find the best way to make it better but..." he trials trying to find the best words.

     "Your calmness it ripples out to us, only us." Rhys says with a sly smile.

     "When we were in the courtyard and you surprised the twins then they went on the defensive. You were calm and peaceful, they had no choice but to stand down." Ian says kind of shocked, "what were you thinking about anyways because they cooled down rather quickly."

     "Actually I was thinking about my favorite place on Uncle's ranch." I say with a shrug.

     "Why did it only effect us that way, I mean she isn't trained so why didn't it effect everyone else around us."

     "That means the headmaster did his job correctly." Uncle smiles at Ian, he leans over and whispers in the younger man's ear.

     "Really she is the one?" he says with such excitement.

     "Your group is complete," Uncle raised a brow in question, "it worked completely?" he looks each boy in the face, "on all of you?"

     They look to each other and nod.

     "Then yes. If she had not been the right one it would not have worked since she is untrained." Byron reassures the boys he has been a mentor to for years. Although I have no clue what they are talking about I can see the connection they have to each other. Wait I can literally see a connection from each of the boys to the others in the room even me. The colors vary from the twins bond with each other, a bold rainbow line, to the boys who have a bold line with a few colors to their connection to my uncle which waivers with doubt.

     "I...."but I get cut off. I feel like they don't remember I am here.

     "What about her know that Ryan and Rhys were twins by looking at them for just a few seconds." Seth asks confused an emotion I don't think he feels very often.

     I raise my voice before anyone else can speak I come clean, "I wasn't completely honest with you earlier because I don't want y'all to think I was crazy," I pause for a minute trying to think of the best way to explain it. I couldn't see the line when I met them but I just knew. "I felt something different than what I felt with the rest of you. They doubly connected mind and heart, sharing a soul."

     Uncle Byron is completely surprised and elated. While the boys look dumbfounded, no other word to explain the look on their faces.

     I smirk at their faces; "You can't see the connection between your mentor and I?"

     "No sweetie, they can't because that is you gift alone." Uncle Byron says with a little joy in his voice.

     "So if that is my gift and being a what...peacekeeper for my group that what I can do?"

     "For now just your group, but it may be more than a peacekeeper, as you said. We wont know exactly until we can train you a little bit."

     "Okay come on are you going to ask us or not?" Ryan says happily.

     I look at them a little perplexed but then it kick-starts, "So...okay.....what are your talents? Please say the headmaster's and my uncle's in this."

     Ryan and Rhys answer in unison, "We can produce swords that are powered by psychic energy."

     Rhys continues, "but Ryan can do any kind of blade. Oh and he can dream walk."

     Ryan follows him up "and Rhys can do throwing daggers and stars plus he can enter peoples head during the day and influence them. We call it day walking."

     I'm speechless their powers are so different from mine but so like the other, "Parts of a whole, cool." I say. Their faces fall again surprised that I see the individual along with the package.

     Seth continues the process, "Psychoscopy meaning I can touch things and people to learn about them. It makes me a wiz at the computer stuff."

     Ian stays silent.

     "Okay we will come back to you." I say as he continues to be silent.

     I turn to Uncle Byron expectantly. "I can see auras and have telekinetic powers meaning I can move things without touching them."

     Oh no! I say to myself I swallow a breath "Really?" I say a little embarrassed wondering what he might have read of my aura while I have been around the boys.

     He just smiles. Okay moving on, "what about the Headmaster?"

     Uncle Byron answers my question, "telepathy and retrocognition, he can see the past."

     Hmm that explained some of what happened in his office. And retrocognition could really come in handy. A thought occurs could someone explain how to use and refine my powers?

     "Does each person have a different gift or do they repeat?" I ask in general.

     "While people may have the same gift like the twins do but just like with their gifts even they aren't exactly the same. Even thought they are exactly the same their gifts complement one another's." The older man answers.

     I want to know more about Ian now that I know about the rest but it looks like he doesn't want to share or for the others to share anymore than they already have.

     Maybe I can talk to my uncle and find ways for the ever talkative leader to trust me. I can tell he has been hurt more than the others. Maybe it was by someone they thought was meant to be with them but didn't.

     The rest of the boys open up more and more the longer we talk. Even when they are a few pointed looks from Ian directed at one or more of the guys when I say or ask something.

     I'll see about talking to Uncle Byron after school. But for now I repeat over and over in my head to just let it be, for now. Don't ask him questions just wait him out.

     "If that's all we need to talk to this old guy about can we start the tour of the castle?" as I pause to wait for an answer my stomach growls demanding food. I look at my watch and realize we have been in here far longer than it felt. "or maybe  lunch first. "I say smiling at them.

     Rhys and Ryan agree immediately and Seth nods slowly before looking over to the one who hasn't voiced his opinion.

     Ian "Y'all go on without me I need to talk to the professor here." He makes a pointed look towards the boys once more. "in fact why don't you go off campus, take her to a diner in town."

     As he says this they have a silent conversation exchanging information that I hopelessly try to understand. While they do I scan them and the bonds appear all the boys have more or less the same width of connection with me but Ian's is barely a wisps. I sigh. The boys nod a little hesitantly but do as Ian has told them.

     I want Ian to go he just seems to want to pull away and I don't understand what I could have done. I hope it was something in the past to cause his actions and not me.

     We leave Ian and the professor standing in uncle's office. Heading down the stairs and out towards what I assume to be the parking lot I guess.

     I sigh once more and grab a hold of Rhys as we walk out into the sun. The others take up positions ahead of me and behind us.