MISSION FOR ME?

We all stand there dumbfounded by Ian's attitude towards Cass. He is always cold towards her even when at every turn she is nice polite and even open. As soon as the shock abates the full range of emotions pass through me the last one being rage. Her escape, her reason for fleeing and the fact she was running away from not only Ian but also Seth, my brother and myself and the three of us not having anything to do with her emotional upheaval. She'll turn from all of us if her isn't careful.

So much in one day I don't know how she can handle it. Her powers developing and she doesn't know what is going on. I can't imagine how her powers are manifesting.

I know when Rhys and I started to receive ours we thought we had gone nuts. Blue and green flashes of light that form in your hand when you have adrenaline flowing through your body or even worse the dreams, that were not ours, that we experienced. I'm thankful we had people who knew what we were experiencing and how to get us through the episodes.

We don't move for several minutes, trying to comprehend his actions and why they were needed. I can't piece the reasoning together and from the looks on the others' faces neither can they.

I have to go to her make sure she is ok, but I'm not the first to move. It's Rhys.

eeeee

I have to find her comfort her like she did me earlier at the diner. She has no one exactly like Ryan and I do...did, before we were grouped with the others. At least I have her destination.

The over sized, over done building quickly comes into view as I pump my legs faster. I race up the stairs two at a time final coming to a stop, just enough to catch my breath. The others catch up with Ian trailing behind.

I swear I'll beat him if he continues with this attitude towards her.

I can't lose her she knew what to do for me and it was amazing to have someone to care about me so intimately. I concentrate on finding her once again as I walk through the door.

The door to our mentor's office is open, he never leaves the door open, she must have gone in there. I make my way into his office and hear footsteps behind me. All of us stand in front of his desk but see her nowhere and Professor Byron stares at us.

"Have you seen Cassandra?" Seth asks hesitantly. I wouldn't want to risk his wrath either if he even thinks we lost her or better yet finds out one of us upset her.

He looks at us examining the lot. I know the gray haired man can read our group as easy as Seth reads books. So when he reads my desperation, Ian's anger, Seth's worry, and Ryan's concern. He bolts from his seat to stand over us, as much as he can when he tops out at 5' 11". He is pissed.

We all take a step back and allow Ian to take the full weight of his glare.

"What did you do?" comes from his tightly clenched teeth. He might pop one of the many protruding blood vessels on his forehead if Ian isn't careful.

"I mentioned we had a mission and she kindly excused herself to come see you." He says without any emotion.

I get that he has to be the leader and that requires him to be able to make decisions without emotion but this is the one we have been waiting for four years.

"Oh come on. You know it wasn't what you said it was how you said it." Seth shouts.

Under the heavy breathing and shouted words I can hear a gasp then broken whimpers. I meet Ryan's eyes and nod my head out the door. We leave Ian Seth and the Prof to sort out Ian's attitude. We go take care of our girl.

* * * * * * * * * *

I notice the twins slip and I know why my niece is out there crying her eyes out. I knew she was out there. She registered when she reached the base of the turret, her emotions flying from one horrible emotion to the next. Poor Cass has been through so much and I haven't been there to help. I couldn't go to her because I would break my word to my sweet sister. I miss her. and that accident was staged I know it.

There are problems that need to be dealt with before they escalate though.

I look to Ian. I knew he would be reluctant to allow anyone in but this is absurd.

"You can't do this to them or her. It is not fair to the group to push that lovely sweet young woman away from your friends. They have had a hard time, so have you and so has she. You five need each other to be able to live, not just survive like you have been doing for so long." His mouth opens and I know he is just going to argue with me.

"No I don't want to hear the excuses what I want to hear is you say sorry to the distress girl out there in the practice room. I want you to actually hold a conversation with her and I want you to take her on this mission I assigned." I issue it as a command. His face turns red but he nods before leaving the room with Seth following behind.

This group is going to have a hard road if this is just their first day together. They need her because of what she represents but they don't want her yet. I know Cass will keep them sane and happy, if they let her. If not she will break down their walls seeking the true person behind them.

I'll give them a few minutes before going out to check on them. I check my emails seeing if any students need help or any other missions have come in for the pupils I mentor.

eeeee

Ryan and Rhys comfort her with light touches on her arms and hair while she lays on the large floor pillows on the opposite side of the room. Her face is turned the other way so I cannot see the damage I have caused but my thoughtless actions.

I have been nothing but a bear to her and I deserve whatever treatment she gives me. I approach quietly wanting to hear her delicate voice. As I move closer I stop when her broke and hoarse voice reach my ears.

I sigh heavily. How can I blame her for someone else's actions?

I can't.

"Cassandra." My voice comes out rough with an obstructed throat. I try to make my voice even by clearing it.

"Cass, I'm sorry I was rough on you from the start. Please forgive me." My voice comes out soft and tender, something that has not happened ever.

She looks over her shoulder and the tears falling down her face make my knees weak. I stumble forward and land on the pillow furthest from her.

I may be emotionless at times but I can't be like them, those men were evil. I don't want to see her like this again because of one of us. I don't know if I can take it.

"Please forgive me. I'm sorry I was such a jerk. You can come on the mission in fact you are necessary for it to succeed." I know I'm rabbling but it is working, putting a smile on her face.

She sits up and twist her body so she faces me but leans against both twins for support. The light that enters her eyes at the thought of being included weakens my barriers.

"It's a simple mission. We have to collect information from people at a restaurant across town write a report about our findings submit it to the Professor and he will read it over before giving it to the Headmaster. Simple easy and best part is you get to eat and watch the rest of us work." I inform her as much as I do the rest of them what are task for tonight is, two birds with one stone.

"If we are going we have to go get ready." Seth focuses the group to a task.

Ryan picks her up to carry her to the part of the castle that holds the wardrobes for the different teams. We may have to borrow something for Cass but one of the other teams should have something.

I am the last one to exit the room but as I leave I hear the Professor talking to someone about Cass. I shrug it off he can tell us when we come back.