chapter 25 (updated)

I was living in the Avengers facility. It had been a couple of days since I woke up. Me and Nat were looking at a video of Nathaniel. He was adorable. Nat had the audacity to call him fat. Every baby is fat. It's not his fault. Anyway, Fury scared the shit out of me when he came with a tablet in his hands.

"One of our tech boys flagged this. Splashed down in the Banda Sea. Could be the quinjet. But with Starks stealth tech,we still can't track the damn thing"

"Right" Nat said.

"Probably jumped out and swam to Fiji. He'll send a postcard"

"'Wish you were here'. You sent me to recruit him way back when. Did you know then what was gonna happen?"

"You never know. You hope for the best and make due with what you get. I got a great team" I was just listening to their convo at this point.

"Nothing lasts forever"

"Trouble, Ms Romanoff. No matter who wins or loses, trouble still comes around" Nick said. Nat just looked at the wall and I did the same for some weird reason. I quickly remembered one of my favourite scenes in this movie and ran to find dad, Steve and Thor. When I did, they were talking about Vision. I was so happy I made it on time. I silently walked behind them, hovering so I wouldn't make a sound. Steve was talking.

"Right, different rules for us" he pointed to dad and then himself.

"Nice guy. Artificial" dad chimed in.

"Thank you" Steve said.

"He can wield the hammer, he can keep the Mind Stone. It's safe with the Vision. And these days, safe is in short supply" there was a pause.

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..."

"It would still go up"

"Elevator's not worthy" I say at the same time as Steve and then burst out laughing. All 3 of them looked behind to see me laughing. I wipe away a tear that came down and hugged Steve. He looked at me confused.

"It's a fan thing" I say still slightly laughing. I wink at the readers, yes, you, and Steve looks at me confused again.

"Oh"

"I'm gonna miss these little talks of ours" Thor said.

"Not if you don't leave" dad said.

"Dad, do you actually care for Thor? I never thought you would care anyone except mum" I say.

"Yeah, guess that means I don't care for you" dad jokes.

"Yeah, that's right" I tease, looking down as if I was sad.

"Hey! That's not how it works" dad said angrily.

"It just did" I say.

"It just did" he mocked.

Dad walked up to me and started tickling me. After that Steve and Thor joined in and I was literally dieing.

"Stop or you guys will seriously get hurt" I get out as I'm laughing on the floor.

"Are you threatening us?" dad asked.

"No, I'm being serious"

"Fine" dad said and stopped. Steve helped me up and I hugged him again.

"Anyway, I must go. I have no choice. The Mind Stone is the 4th of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. It's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us. And once all the pieces are in position..."

"Triple Yahtzee" dad said.

"You think you could find out what's coming?"

"I do. Besides this one, there's nothing that can't be explained"

"Thor is on the right path with this. You'll get there someday" I nod my head at him and he nods his back. Thor then lifts mewmew over his head and summons the bifrost.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance" dad said and I chuckled. We start walking to dad's car "I'm gonna miss him though" dad continued "And you're gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of manful and womanful tears" he says and gestures to me. I roll my eyes. He calls his car over and Steve speaks.

"I will miss you, Tony"

"I ship!" I yelled and they looked at me.

"Yeah. Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book. Build Pepper a farm, hope nobody blows it up"

"The simple life"

"You'll get there one day"

"I don't know. Family stability... The guy who wanted all that went in the ice 75 years ago. I think someone else came out"

"You alright?" I ask.

"I'm home" Steve said. I hug dad and say goodbye. He gets in his car and leaves.

Me and Steve go to Nat and she is still staring at the wall.

"Wanna keep staring at the wall, or do you wanna go to work?" Steve asked. Nat turned.

"I mean, it's a pretty interesting wall" I say and smirk.

"I thought you and Tony were still gazing into each other's eyes" she said, gesturing to Steve "How do we look" she asked, taking a tablet from Steve.

"Well, we're not the '27 Yankees" Steve said.

"We got some hitters" Nat said, still looking at the tablet.

"They're good. They're not a team" I say, looking at Steve. He nods his head.

"Let's beat them into shape" Nat said.

The 3 of us entered a room with Rhodey, Vision, Falcon, Wanda and Pietro. They all looked around and Pietro ran to me and hugged me, thanking me for saving his life. Wanda did the same and I said it was no problem.

"Avengers..."