THIRTY FOUR

34|A FEELING

Bella folded her arms over her chest nervously, fiddling with the material of her jumper. She jumped at any sudden noise so when Emma called her name she almost screamed.

"Bels?" Emma asked once more, helping the woman stand up. "Are you okay? All I made out from your text was there was someone in our apartment."

"I had a feeling." Bella said guiltily, looking down. "I know you can't base an investigation off a feeling but I know there is something wrong."

"It's fine, Bels. I will take a look anyway." Her friend reassured her, patting her shoulder and walking into the apartment. Emma unlocked the door, the key fitting perfectly like always.

"Henry? Come here." The doctor guided Henry into their apartment, feeling like someone was watching them. They both watched as Emma tested the door first, looking at the locks for any sign of a break in. She checked the windows next, making sure they were all secured shut and locked.

"Henry? What are you doing here? Why aren't you in school?" Emma asked the boy, going into mother mode.

"We have to help Ms. Blanchard." Henry said with determination, looking between the two women.

"I am helping her. That's why I am searching the apartment." She revealed to her son, not mentioning how Bella had a bad feeling. "But you got to go home."

"Not gonna happen." He said, trying to hide his smile as he knew Emma would cave.

"Just stay out the way." Emma caved, going back to searching the apartment while Bella made a cup of tea.

"So what are we looking for?" Henry said excitedly, following after his mother.

"I'm trying to see if maybe someone broke in." Bella glanced up at that statement, a shiver running down her spine as her eyes drifted towards the front door.

"That lock." She mumbled to herself before snapping out of it, pouring the hot water into her mug. She seeped the tea bag and tossed it into the bin. Bella wandered through to Mary Margaret's bedroom where Emma and Henry were, her tea rested in her hands. "Do you two wants some- holy hell!"

Emma and Bella made eye contact, both knowing what this meant. In shock, Bella walked out the room and sat on the sofa, sipping her tea.

"She's over there, please just watch her until she snaps out of it." Emma sighed heavily, gesturing to the frozen woman on the sofa.

"I'll do my best." He replied, limping over to his lover and sitting beside her, grabbing her free hand. "Love?"

"My best friend could be a murderer." Bella finally snapped, turning to look at the man with a pale face. "She could never do that, she could barely harm a fly."

"I know, love." Mr. Gold kissed her forehead and let her rest it on his chest as he rubbed her back.

"Please help her." She begged him, tears gathering in her perfect blue eyes. "As my fake fiance, please help Mary Margaret."

~•~

Bella stumbled over the uneven ground, an arm wrapping around her back to stabilise her. She mumbled a small 'thank you' before walking into the familiar police station.

"I'm saying I think you should hire a lawyer." They heard Emma say to Mary Margaret who stood behind metal bars.

"An excellent idea." Mr. Gold stated loudly, stopping by the entrance as the two women turned to look at him, Bella by his side.

"Mr. Gold. What are you doing here?" Emma questioned, folding her arms defensively.

"Offering my legal services." He replied as if it was an obvious answer.

"You're a lawyer?" She scoffed. Bella left his side and stood beside Mary, sending her sympathetic looks.

"Ever wondered why I was so adept at contracts?" He began to wander closer to them, further into the room. "I've been following the details of your case, Ms. Blanchard. And I think you'd be well-advised to bring me on as your counsel."

"And why is that?" Mary Margaret finally spoke up.

"Because the sheriff had me arrested for nearly beating a man to death, and I managed to persuade the judge to drop the charges." Mr. Gold said casually, noticing the way Bella flinched at the mention of him harming her father.

"Exerting your influence isn't what's needed here." Emma spat at him. "We need to find the truth."

"Exerting influence may be exactly what's needed here." He cut her off, eyes trailing over to his lover who stared at him with pleading eyes. He melted at the sight, knowing he could not let her down no matter the consequences.

"What's needed here is for me to do my job." The Sheriff snapped back, not wanting the most corrupt man in all of Storybrookes help.

"Well, no one's stopping you. I'm only here to help." Mr. Gold leaned against his cane, eyes narrowing slightly at the blonde woman.

"Enough." Mary Margaret cut them both off. "Please go."

"You heard her."

"No, I was talking to you." The teacher explained causing her two roommates to stare at her with shock. "Oh, Emma. He's right. I need help. And you need to do your job. Or else, I'm screwed. So just, please, do your job the best you can. And you'll prove me innocent. Until you do, I need some practical help."

"Trust me, this is in Ms. Blanchard's best interests." Mr. Gold added calmly, walking over to the three women.

"Good luck, Mary Margaret." Emma sighed. "I hope your best interests are what he's looking out for."

"Please help her." Bella kissed his lips delicately, forgetting Mary Margaret was still in the room. "I'm going home to get some sleep. I was on the graveyard shift, I haven't slept in hours."

"Stay at mine." Mr. Gold stopped her before she left. "You mentioned how you felt like someone was in your apartment, you'll be safe at mine."

"Thank you."