TWENTY THREE

23|DRUNKENLY REMEMBERING

"Don't let my feelings cloud my judgment?" Emma grumbled as the three roommates ate lunch at Granny's. "That's all Regina ever does."

"Well, she's just upset because you and Henry have a special place. She doesn't." Mary Margaret justified the Mayor's actions making Bella laugh.

"How did she find out about the castle in the first place?" The blonde sighed, not eating her soup but mix it around.

"She knows everything about this town. She's the Mayor." Bella reminded her, finishing her coffee and getting a third cup. Her eyes darting to Mary as the woman's phone buzzed.

"Everything okay?" Emma asked, putting down her spoon to watch her roommate carefully.

"Yeah, I just need to go." Mary Margaret quickly gathered up her belongings, packing them into her handbag. "Look, if it makes you feel any better, I think you're right. I see the effect she has on Henry."

"I wish everyone else did too." The mother said sadly.

"Oh shit, they need me at work." Bella jumped up after reading the text message. She threw some money on the table and squeezed Emma's arm good bye.

As she left the dinner she walked straight into a strong chest. His string hand grabbed her arm, stopping her from falling backwards.

"Careful, dearie." A familiar voice chuckled as she fixed her hair, trying to see who she had walked into.

"I'm so sorry." She apologised, glancing over him to check he was okay. Her hand grabbed his, squeezing it as she stared at him happily. "Wait, I need to get to work."

"How did you manage to forget that?" Mr. Gold laughed, walking with her hand in hand to her car parked outside of Granny's Diner. "Shall we get dinner tomorrow evening?"

"I am working but I'll come over afterwards for a movie and snacks." Bella grinned like a child, kissing his cheek before hopping in her car. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Be safe, Bels." He shut her car door for her and nodded his head as she started the car.

~•~

Bella let herself into his large home, calling out his name repeatedly but got no answer. She wandered into his kitchen and turned on the kettle, and leaned against the counter. Sighing loudly, Bella waited patiently in the main room with her tea. It had been two hours and he still had not shown up. She began to wonder if he had got stuck at work or maybe crashed his car on the way home.

"Who's there?" She spun around at the sound of his voice, screaming when she came face to face with a small gun.

"It's me, Bella." Bella dropped her tea cup on the ground and raised her hands, closing her eyes in fright.

"Bella? I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Mr. Gold apologised, putting his gun on the coffee table and grabbing her hands, lowering them. "I thought you were a stranger."

"I'm fine." She breathed out, leaning her head against his chest as she calmed her heart. "I just didn't expect that."

Mr. Gold leaned down and picked up the cup, a familiar chip on the rim of the white China. The memory shocked him, his eyes watching hers as he remembered the old her, before the curse.

"Are you okay?" Bella asked slowly before noticing the cup. "I'm sorry, I'll buy you a new one."

"It's fine, dearie." He sat beside her on the comfortable couch, pulling her into his side as he stroked her hair. "I'm sorry."

"I'm fine. Although I think I'm going to open that bottle of wine I saw in the kitchen." She laughed, standing up and going into the kitchen to grab the bottle. She sat back beside him, drinking straight out of the bottle as he placed an old movie on the television.

He glanced down at her, noticing she was almost asleep in his arms, a half empty bottle of wine cradled in her arms. He switched off the TV, carrying her in his arms as he limped towards the main bedroom. He dropped her heavily on the bed, hearing her groan since the pain in his leg caused him to be harsher with the movement.

"Rumpel?" She mumbled uncohesively, reaching up and cupping his face with her hands. The sound of his name startled him, the drunken look in her eyes telling him it was not her properly speaking. He jumped when he felt her plump lips on his, hands going through his hair as she deepened the kiss.

"Cel, stop. You're not sober and won't remember any of this." Rumpelstiltskin pulled back, seeing the shocked look in her eyes. "I'll see you in the morning."

"Stay." Bella mumbled, eyes drooping as she grabbed his sleeve. He removed his jacket and shoes before slipping into the bed beside her, arms wrapping around her small frame as she instantly fell asleep.