SIXTY NINE

69|CURSE AND MAGIC

"Hey." Greg, the patient who crashed their car while entering Storybrooke, greeted the doctor as she made her rounds. "I'm really sorry to bother you, but I'm the one that was driving the car, in the accident. And I was wondering, did you also see the guy with the ball of fire?"

"Ball of fire?" Bella hummed, not wanting to overcome the patient. "I'm sorry, I passed out at the scene."

"You probably think I'm crazy." He sighed, looking away sorrowfully.

"I'm sorry, sir." She apologised, checking his fluids. "The car crash caused me to lose my short term memories, I can't remember anything from the night."

"Sorry for bothering you." Greg smiled at her before she moved on to her next patient, still feeling his eyes on her.

Bella slumped against her chair, exhausted as she hid in her office away from the loud hospital.

"Knock knock." Regina wandered into the office, smirking as she saw the exhausted woman jump up in fright.

"Madam Mayor, what brings you to my office?" Bella stood up quickly and gestured to the seat opposite her.

"So it is true." Her smirk widened as she took the offer and sat across from the doctor. "You really don't remember anything."

"Were we close friends?" The doctor threw the random question at her.

"We were. We spent some time together." Regina answered truthfully. "But I'm here because I believe you can help me find something that belongs to Mr. Gold."

"I'm afraid I can't help you." Bella sighed as she apologised, before her head went light, hitting the desk as she blacked out.

~•~

"Bella?" Dr. Whale repeated until the woman woke up, her head pounding as she squinted at the man.

"What happened?" She mumbled, rubbing her forehead as she sat up.

"You must have passed out." He looked over the bump on her head before grabbing her hand, looking at the healing wound. "Has this been okay?"

"Itchy but okay." Bella looked down at the almost healed wound, pursing her lips as she questioned if it was infected. "It can't be infected."

"It's not so I don't understand why." Dr. Whale leaned against the wall as she changed the bandage. "Let me give you a lift home."

"Thank you." The drive home was quiet but she thanked her friend and walked into the apartment, finding Mary Margaret and David in the kitchen cooking. "Oh, thank God! I was worried I might walk into something I really don't want to see."

"We made spaghetti!" Mary Margaret cheered as she set the table, pulling out a bottle of wine. "I have strange news."

"Let me get dressed." Bella nodded slowly and dumped her bag with paperwork by the door and got changed into her sweats before sitting down at the table. David placed the bowl in front of her and sat beside his wife, both watching her as she took a mouthful. "Okay, tell me everything."

"You are actually married to Mr. Gold." David revealed causing her to choke on her mouthful of food. "And he is actually Henry's grandfather."

"So if we're married that would make me Henry's step-grandmother?" She gaped, trying to remember how old she was.

"Yes." Mary Margaret agreed and stared at her deeply. "And you are currently cursed which is why you can't remember anything. Magic exists and we are trying to help you remember."

"Okay." Bella slowly ate the rest of her meal, avoiding their eyes as she cleaned up her bowl. "I'm going to go sleep it off."

"You want wine and watch a movie?" The short haired woman offered her instead, lifting the bottle.

"Fine." They cuddled up on the couch, not talking as they finished off three bottles of wine. "Why can't I remember things? I like magic. I like magicians."

"I will buy you a magician." Mary Margaret laughed, not paying any attention to the movie. "Rumpelstiltskin is a magician."

"Who?"

"Your husband!"

"Oh, Mr. Gold!" Bella burst out, laughing to herself. "I married an old man."

"You did!" Mary nudged her teasingly. "But you love him so much and he loves you more than anything."

"So how do I break this curse?" She questioned, trying to be serious as she dropped in and out of consciousness.

"True loves kiss." The two women squealed like teenagers. "You need to fall back in love with him and kiss him."

"I can do that." Bella nodded in understanding before they both fell asleep cuddled up on the sofa.