Chapter 7 - The Girl

- "What the hell is going on over here?!" Gally screams, running towards us.
- "Relax man." Fry says.
- "They made it!" Chucks says excitedly.
I smile at Chuck and give him a high five.
- "Oh so all of you are forgetting something?" Gally says. "Greenie over here," He points to Thomas, "ran in the maze. "That is a clear violation of our rules."
The guys yell on top from each other. Some disagreeing with Gally, and some agreeing. Gally is yelling back at them. I stand in silence, wishing they would all stop.
- "EVERYBODY SHUT UP." I say, much louder than I thought it would be.
They all immediately quiet down and look at me. I look at them not knowing what to say. I did not expect them to stop.
- "Meeting in 30 minutes in Council Hall. All of you better be there." I look at Clint and Jeff. "Take Alby to your place right now."
They both nod. A few guys help them bring Alby to the Medjack center. Everyone disperses and I stand looking at the entrance of the maze. Newt comes up to me.
- "I'm sorry." I say.
- "For what?"
- "Calling the meeting. Its your job when Alby is not around, but I was too overwhelmed by all of them yelling."
He playfully punches me in the arm.
- "Come on, lets get you fixed up."
I roll my eyes. I do not need help for my arm.
- "Newt, I'm fine."
He chuckles.
- "You think a purple arm is fine? Now come on."
We walk next to each other in direction to the MedJack's house. I look around the glade, and I've never been happier being in here. Ever since I came up the box, all I ever wanted was to be in the maze. I still do, but I am very thankful to be back here. We enter the MedJack's house.
- "How's Alby doing?" I ask.
He is laying down and he is shaking a little bit.
- "We haven't really looked at him yet," Clint says, "but I'll let you know."
I nod and I turn around.
- "Oh no you're not." Newt says.
He grabs my body and turns me back around.
- "She needs to be checked out."
- "Sit here." Jeff says, pointing to a chair.
I sit on it and Jeff takes off the shirt  I had tied around my arm. His eyes double when he sees what my arm really looks like. Newt looks at me terrified.
- "Um...Clint?" Jeff says, worriedly. "Can you come look at this?"
Clint comes and examines my arm.
- "Well, it's definitely broken that's for sure. But I'm gonna have to break it again." Clint says.
- "What?!" Newt and I say at the same time.
- "It's broken, but not in the right direction. If I leave it like this, it's not going to heal properly, and you're going to have long-term problems. If I properly break it, then it should take only a few months to heal and you won't have any issues in the future."
I look at Newt worried.
- "Where's y/n?" I hear Thomas say.
I am not facing towards the door, but I recognize his voice.
- "Thomas. Minho. Give us a few minutes." Jeff says.
I look at Clint, then at Newt worried. I put my left arm out and Newt grabs my hand as tight as possible.
- "Seriously is she ok?" Thomas says.
- "Get them out of here." Clint says to Jeff.
I hear the boys fighting. Newt squeezes my hands harder and Clint puts his hands on my arm. I turn around to try and see Thomas. By having Thomas here, I feel calmer already.
- "Thomas?" I say.
The moment I call Thomas, Clint breaks my arm.
- "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" I yell in pain.
I ball my eyes out and Newt comes in for a hug. I am breathing loudly. Newt squeezes me harder and brushes my back with his hands, trying to calm me down.
- "Hey. Hey. It's ok. It's over." He says.
- "You did it like a champ." Says Clint, putting his hand on my arm,
I continue on crying.
- "What happened?" Say's Thomas worriedly.
I let go of Newt and see Thomas and Minho next to me.
- "Her elbow needed to be broken again."
They both have a worried look on their faces.
- "She's going to be fine." Clint reassures them. "Jeff. Can you pass me brace over there?"
Jeff grabs something that looks like the thing I made last night with my shirt. Clint helps me put it on.
- "Keep on this on all the time, for the next two months."
- "Two months?!"
- "Yes...your arm needs to heal."
- "But...am I going to be able to run?"
- "Yes, you are. It won't do anything if you do." Clint says smiling.
A feeling of relief runs through my body. I cannot not run. I slowly stop crying.
- "What do you mean she can run?" Thomas asks. "Wouldn't that be bad for her?"
I get up and wipe the tears on my face.
- "You heard him Thomas. It won't do anything." I say.
I gently tap on his chest, and another feeling of relief goes through my body. I missed Thomas. I turn around to face the guys.
- "Boys. We have a meeting soon." I say.
Newt, Thomas, and Minho nod.
- "Clint. Jeff." They both look at me. "You guys can stay here and take care of Alby. I'll come and see you after to tell you what you missed."
They nod. I walk out of their house and head towards Council Hall. The boys are right behind me. I enter, and everyone else is already there. Gally, Fry, and Winston are at the front. Newt, Minho, and I join them. Gally points to the chair in the middle for Thomas to sit on. Minho and I go to the side and Thomas sends me a worried look.
- "Things are changing." Gally starts. "There's no denying that. First Ben gets stung in broad daylight, and then Alby...Now our greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze, which is a clear violation of our rules here."
I roll my eyes.
- "Yeah...but he saved Alby's life." Fry says.
- "And Minho and I!" I add.
Thomas looks at me and smiles. I smile back and blush.
- "Did he?" Gally says. "For three years, we have co-existed with these things. And now," He points to Thomas, "you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us?"
I look at Newt and he seems annoyed.
- "What do you suggest we do?" Newt asks.
- "He has to be punished."
Everyone in the room starts bashing on Gally.
- "Minho. Y/n." Newt says, looking at us, "You guys were there with him, what do you think?"
Minho and I look at each other, and we are thinking of the same thing.
- "We think," Minho says, "in all the time we've been here, no one has EVER killed a griever before. When we turned tailed and ran, this dumb shank, stood behind to help Alby. Look I don't know if he's brave or stupid, but whatever it is we need more of it."
Minho looks at me and nods.
- "We say to make him a runner." I say.
- "A runner?!" Fry says.
Everyone starts to murmur and Thomas looks at us, in shock. I look at Newt and I see him smiling. He's agreeing with us.
- "Minho. Y/n. Let's not jump the gun here." Fry says.
Everyone is starting to talk louder. Chuck is saying "Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!", but eventually stops when no one joins him.
- "If you want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine." Gally angrily says. "Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the maze, it is that you do not."
Gally immediately stops talking. Everyone looks around, hearing the noise of the box coming back up.
- "That's not possible." I say.
Newt and Gally look at each other. They head outside and everyone follows. I run towards the box as fast as possible with Gally and Newt. The box comes up and the three of us look down. It's a girl. I don't know whether to be happy or confused. Newt and Gally open the box and Newt jumps inside. Everyone gathers around.
- "Newt what do you see?" Fry asks.
- "It's a girl." Newt says.
The guys all look at me.
- "What?" I say.
Thomas comes next to me and stares at the girl.
- "I think she's dead." Newt says.
- "Whats in her hand?" Gally asks.
Newt bends down and grabs the thing. It's a piece of paper. He reads it out loud.
- "She's the last one ever. What the hell does that mean?"
I take a step back. That's not possible, I think to myself. The girl takes a breath and everyone jumps in surprise. She looks up and is breathing heavily.
- "Thomas...y/" She says.
She closes her eyes again. I look around in shock, she not only said Thomas's name, but I'm pretty sure she was about to say mine. Everyone looks at Thomas, but not at me. No one else heard her almost saying my name. Thomas looks around not knowing what to say.
- "You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally asks.
Everyone stays in silence not knowing what to say.