You're Missing A Button

TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, and being that, my days have been incredibly busy

TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, and being that, my days have been incredibly busy. Little League has ended, but Matt is opening the fields to the public with many teams signing up for tournaments and slow pitch softball leagues. I've barely seen Owen and my thoughts travel to when I talked to him last. I was angry with him about the whole dropping me thing, but I saw how guilty he felt about it and decided to forgive him. Plus, he called me pretty.

I'm still mad though.

I swivel around in my chair and watch as the bright bold Dr. Seuss posters I have all over my room blur. A knock on my office door makes me stop and Patty Newhouse walks in. She's the receptionist for the guidance counselors and a lovely lady. Her husband coached my softball team in high school.

"Hey."

She sighs and sits in the chair opposite of my desk. "Summer went by too fast. You ready for tomorrow?"

I give a manly snort, "I feel like everyone probably. Ready, yet not feeling ready."

My office is tiny, but cozy. I have a white board hanging on the wall to the left with a filing cabinet next to it. A book shelf is behind me with a cat in the hat stuffed animal, along with children books assorted in little cubbies that are labeled Anger, Grief, Kindness, etc. It's a method I use to help kids when they're dealing with certain issues. It works.

Patty rips up one of my many post-it notes that's splayed all over my oak desk. "I keep thinking I'm forgetting something."

I swivel in my chair again raising my hands as I spin. "Don't we all and then when school starts we realize we forgot like fifteen things." I glance around at all my new office supplies. I'm a sucker for them. I love having all different types of pens and highlighters. I grab a neon green one and twirl it in my fingers. "Honestly, I'm kind of relieved for it to start. As soon as it does my mom's set up lunch dates for me become scarce."

She laughs, "You'll find a man soon Harp, you're a catch. How have the dates been?"

I roll my eyes.

My date a couple nights ago went terribly, terribly. This time the guy came into the restaurant late. He sat down and told me, "This will have to be quick, my next date is in a half hour."

Yeah, seriously happened... I walked right out.

Now, I know I'm not bad looking and a good person, but the guy's my mom sends my way make me feel inadequate. I know they're just jerks, but still not one of them are ever interested. Even on my own I can't seem to find a good guy. It's infuriating.

All my single ladies raise your hands if you feel me.

I wish I could find a guy like Owen, but not Owen.

"They've been a waste of time." I state casually.

Patty's eyes light up. "There is someone I know that might be a good fit for you. He goes to our church. A really nice young man."