3. Noah

I hummed along to the Christmas music that was playing on the radio I had in the kitchen as I finished putting the sugar cookies on the cooling rack, along with the many other's Mary and I had already made from sugar to gingerbread and any in between. My personal favorite are peanut butter blossoms.

Every year we bake hundreds of cookies and take them to the shelter and some to the hospital for the kids who can have them. It brightens their day and their smiles are worth the time we put into baking them and decorating them.

Mary loves dressing up like an elf and has me dress up as a reindeer but I love it, I love the holidays so I'd wear the brown costume with antlers proudly. Mary giggles every time she sees me in it and I awe at her in her cute red and green sweater dress, red stocking, green flats, and her hair in pigtails with sparkles on her rosy cheeks and a glitter headband. She was the vision of happiness that I loved seeing. She has no idea how much I adore and love her, no idea.

"Oh these are turning out wonderful Noah!" She squealed as she hovered over the table looking at the snowmen I put together with a few of the smaller cookies.

"They are, do you want to put the next batch in while I go check the mail?" I asked and she nodded so I wiped my hands and went downstairs to check the mailbox. I shouldn't have any bills since I paid them already so when I got an envelope from my landlord, my heart stopped.

I rushed back upstairs with the mail and immediately opened the envelope.

"Hello Noah.

I hope this letter finds you well and you and Mary are doing good. I'm sending this letter to all the tenants to let you know that the building was bought recently. Now don't worry, no one is needing to move. The new owner has agreed to let everyone stay if they wish. Also with the new owner, they had lowered the rent from eight hundred and fifty to five hundred a month. Also starting at the beginning of the year, the new owner will start renovating the apartments. I'm still going to be the landlord but the rent goes to the newer, I'm here more so for looking over everyone like I do now. Don't hesitate to call with any questions Noah, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Sincerely, Brian Platt.

P.S. there is a check for the balance that you overpaid, from the new owner."

I reread the letter a few times and was shocked. I couldn't believe it, lower rent and a check, this is a blessing. I looked at the check and I almost fainted. It's for twelve thousand six hundred dollars, the amount for the past three years if I would have paid five hundred instead of the eight fifty.

"Noah, are you alright?" Mary asked, waving her hand in front of my face. I put the letter and check down and wrapped my arms around her and swung her around laughing my head off.

"Oh Mary, the Lord answered our prayers!" I explained and showed her the letter, her still in my arms and she read it and saw the check. Her eyes filled with tears and hugged me tightly.

"Now you can take a break and not work so much." She whispered as I held her as she cried. She always worried I was working too much and we didn't spend a whole lot of time together so with the rent cut and this check, I can breathe a lot easier for a bit.

"Want to finish up with the cookies and go to the bank, deposit the check and go do some shopping?" I asked and of course she agreed.

"Yea, I want to get you a present and some gift boxes for the cookies this year instead of taking them in the containers we usually use." She said, always thinking of others.

"Sounds like a good plan Mary. Now let's finish up and get ready." As we finished up, I thought of all I could do with this money. I could buy a car and still have money left. We're going to be ok and it's all thanks to the new owner, whomever it may be.