4. Joshua

The whole time I was in the hospital was hell, the therapy I had to do for my leg and arm were grueling but I did it because I needed to get better even if I had casts on my two limbs. My doctor was a nice man, he brought me home cooked meals daily and talked to me about his day and his home life, hoping to get me to open up some and I did, to an extent.

I am the man's boss so I didn't get too personal with him, just like he probably expected but he still talked and showed he wanted to listen to me and I appreciated it, so much. The nurses came around more often and spoke to me, talking to me about their families and plans for the holiday season, even decorated my room some with a small tree with lights and a few ornaments, some garnet around the end of the bed and the TV, it was nice.

I met Noah, a beautiful angel with blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes and a heart warming smile. He tried to talk to me here and there and finally I gave in and talked with him about simple subjects, such as school and jobs. I learnt he wants to become a nurse and is working on going to college soon. He seems to love his job he has now but wants to be able to do more to help his patients. He asked me what I did for a living and I told him I was a business owner and left it at that.

I can't very well tell him I'm his boss and everyone else's in the hospital and pretty much the whole city of whatever businesses I own, people frown upon those that have so much in this city. I recently bought some run down apartment buildings, decreased the rent, have some companies coming to make them better and more modern, and sent out checks to the tenants for the back rent of what they were paying, just in time before Christmas came so they have a less stressful holiday.

I have more than enough to help and I also donate to charity, especially the children's hospital. People may think I'm all about money but they don't know my name or what I do. They just know me as a Scrooge because they don't pay attention to my finances as it's not their business. I have my own accountants to manage my companies and donations. What I do behind closed doors is no one's business but my own. I give bonuses to my employees who work directly under me, I also send anonymous donations if you will in the mail to all the other employees of companies I own, they just don't know it's from me.

Having nothing whatsoever growing up has been the very reason I work so hard and give to others, I don't do it for the credit or recognition from anyone. I do it because I know how it feels to have nothing and to struggle just to keep warm and some food in my belly. Crime has gone down a lot in the city because of the help I provide. People aren't starving, cold living on the streets, and have ways to get food for their families because I have organizations all across Pittsburgh for people to go get help, without the government. If you get assistance from the state and still need help, it is provided.

I have known people who get food stamps and health insurance from the state and it's shit, so the organizations are there to help, anyone who needs it. Times are hard for a lot of people right now with the pandemic of Covid-19, they are out of work, can't travel, see anyone, are basically forced to stay home and if they can't work, how can they afford to keep their homes? As I said, anyone who needs help with anything, I provide it.

Then I met Mary, Noah's younger sister. She is a ray of sunshine and so sweet. She had offered me a bag of delicious cookies and a candy cane, she didn't even know who I was and she gave me a gift, it may have been cookies and a candy cane but it was the sweetest gift. She had such a sweet personality and she was so kind. I learnt Noah has been raising her for the past three years on his own and when we arrived at their apartment, I realized the building was one I had purchased so I was happy to know they had money to have a good life, for a while at least.

Hopefully Noah will be able to cut his hours at work and go to school when he can, since it's his dream. Maybe I can contact local colleges to see about a fund I can set up for those who need help. I have enough money to last me ten lifetimes, if not more so I know I'll be able to help people with their education.

Their apartment was small but it was homey. It smelt like Christmas and it was decorated beautifully, even their tree was cute. Mary had insisted that I sit down while they got dinner together so while they were doing that, I made some notes on my phone about what can be added to the apartment since they are all the same basically. Upgraded appliances, new flooring, carpet, paint, and new doors. I haven't seen the bathroom yet so I'll take note of it when I do.

"Hey, I'm sorry if my sister seemed to be pushy with you in having you come here." Noah said and handed me a cup of eggnog and a pastry.

"It's no bother, she is a sweet girl." I said and he smiled looking at Mary setting the table.

"She's my entire world. I don't know what I would do if anything were to ever happen to her. Since our parents, it's just been us. It's been hard on me but if she is happy and taken care of, I'll do anything I have to do. Do you have family?" He asked and sat down on the couch, a little ways from where I was sitting.

"No, my mother died when I was a teenager and my father when I was born. It's just me. My mother was an amazing woman, we may not have had much but I did have her love. She ah died in her sleep one night and she was sick, having no money to go to the doctor, she didn't get better so when I woke up and she was cold, colder than we usually were, I noticed she wasn't breathing and that moment, I told myself that I would do whatever I had to to never be poor again. We were homeless all my life, hardly had food or clothing, were always so cold and hungry. I went to bed a lot with nothing in my stomach and a sheet to cover with. Mama always would beg on the streets for money, she was too proud to ask for assistance, at times I wished she did so we would have had at least a place to live but she didn't want the help. Now that I'm an adult and make good money, I do what I can for those in need because I don't ever want a child or family to suffer as I had." I thought about my mama and felt my eyes sting. I hated getting emotional especially in front of a stranger, but this time of year I always get depressed thinking about mama.

"I am so sorry Joshua, I can't imagine going through that." Noah said sadly, looking at me with such sadness in his beautiful eyes that I wanted happiness only to be showing in his eyes.

"It's ok, she is in a better place and I'm no longer homeless, I may not have anyone to call my own, be it friend or lover, but I am healthy and sort of happy. I get lonely of course but I'm thankful to be alive. I just wish mama could see me now, see how successful I became, to shower her with all the luxuries I can but one day we will meet again."

"Well you can spend Christmas with us!" Mary bounced in the room, her hair flying all over the place with a big smile on her face.

"Mary, we can't just assume he doesn't have plans." Noah spoke up but Mary wasn't having it.

"He just said he is alone Noah, no one should be alone on Christmas so Mr. Joshua, would you want to spend Christmas with us? Pretty please with a sugar cookie on top?" She pouted and gave me the best puppy dog eyes I had ever seen, she even made her eyes water.

"I can't say no to that face but only if you allow me to bring something, that is my only condition to coming." I said and she smiled brightly.

"Ok! You can bring anything you want, we went shopping for dinner so ask Noah what we didn't get that you would possibly like and bring that!" Mary said and skipped back into the kitchen, calling Noah to check the food.

The rest of the evening was nice, we ate a delicious meal of chicken, rice, broccoli with cheese and rolls. I went home after a promise to keep in touch and when I got home, I wished I was back at Noah and Mary's home.

A home with warmth and happiness. A home I never had and wanted more than all the money in the world.