1.Noah

"Mary, come on love breakfast is ready." I opened her door and smiled when she was putting her hair in a ponytail. 

"Can you help, I want it in a braid." She asked so I walked into her room and helped her with her long beautiful soft blonde hair.

"Thank you, I talked to Erica and I'm going over to her house after school and I can stay there until you get off work." 

"Oh, well ok great. That's one less worry I have. I'll be home around seven and I'll bring pizza for dinner if you want?" 

"No it's ok, save the money for something important, we can make dinner." Mary is the sweetest girl. She has a good heart and like me, she loves to help people. We were raised by wonderful parents but they died when she was ten.

It was a good evening, we were having dinner out and I invited my boyfriend to dinner and when I told them who he was, they were upset which I understood, I never told them I was gay and to have my boyfriend show up for dinner and just telling them I was gay was a huge shock so they left, I drove so I wasn't stranded but they left in a hurry and said we'll talk later and Mary stayed with me.

Well an hour later I got a call telling me we need to get to the hospital because there was an accident. They hit a semi truck and died at the hospital before we got there, there was nothing they could do. Since that day, I haven't had another boyfriend and I work to make sure Mary has a good life, even if I put myself last which is fine, she deserves to have a good life.

We may live in a sort of bad part of Pittsburgh PA and I may have to take the bus to work because I sold my car to get money but I make sure we have what we need and at times what Mary wants even if she tells me she doesn't want anything, I make sure she doesn't go without. 

"I'll get pizza, I worked an extra shift remember so we're ok to spend twenty some dollars on pizza. We do have to go grocery shopping for Christmas dinner this weekend though so make a list of things you want and a list of stuff you would like for Christmas, no argument young lady. I want to give you something." I said when she was going to protest. She shut her mouth and zipped her lips shut. 

"Come on, the foods gonna get cold." She grabbed her coat and bookbag and we went to our small kitchen, passing the living room that has our Charlie brown Christmas tree but it's been ours for the past three years and we love it. 

I wanted to get a better one but Mary insisted we keep the one we have, so we decorate it and I try to make it look decent with new lights and decorations but it's no use, that tree has seen better days. It makes Mary happy so I'll deal with it.

"When is your first day of vacation?" I asked her looking at her school work she did the night before. 

"Next Tuesday it starts until the second of January." 

"Ok I'll make sure Mrs. Stuart can keep an eye on you when I'm at work. You don't have to go to her apartment since you are old enough to be on your own but I'll make sure she is available if you need her and have her check on you a few times. It's the only way I will let you be alone. You can never be too careful, alright?"

"I know Noah, I'm always careful. We have to be living in this city." She smiled and I shook my head.

"You're going to miss the bus if you don't hurry up." I looked at the clock and saw it was almost seven.

"Shoot!" She drank the rest of her juice, put her coat, hat, and gloves on, grabbed her book bag and gave me a kiss and ran out the door.

"Have a good day! I love you!" I yelled after her as she ran down the steps.

"I love you too and you as well!" She yelled back before going down the lower flight of stairs. 

I shut the door to go take a shower before I had to leave to go to work in thirty minutes. 

Now that I have some time, let me tell you about me. My name is Noah Porter, I'm twenty-two years old and my sister is Mary Porter and is thirteen. We live in Pittsburgh, and I'm gay. I work as a nurses aid and it's an ok job, I can't complain too much. At least I'm working with the pandemic of Covid-19. I took some classes while working at a fast food place which is how I got the job I have now. I have worked all my life. My parents weren't rich and when they died, they left debt and bills to be paid. I finally paid off their funerals a few months ago, they were expensive and I got the cheapest packages they had to offer. 

Our apartment is small but it's comfortable and warm, that's all I care about. It's also in the middle of the school and hospital so Mary and I both have to take a bus but she has a school bus, I take public transportation which is a pain but I don't complain, they could not run in my area and I'd have to walk so I'm grateful. I'm grateful for everything I have because I know others don't even have what I have so I don't complain to anyone about my life. 

I have a good group of friends and I volunteer at the shelters, volunteer at the hospital in the pediatric ward, just to read or help in any way I can. I have been doing it since I was a teenager and will for the rest of my life. I love children and helping people, like I said I had wonderful parents, they raised me to be who I am. 

Once I was showered and dressed, I grabbed my bag, coffee, coat, hat, and keys. I locked up and left the warm building and into the freezing cold December weather. It hasn't snowed yet, which I can't wait for. I love the snow, it's so pretty to look at. 

Mary and I like going through the city and looking at all the lights and decorations after it gets dark which is around five with the time change. We usually go on Saturday evening since we both don't have to go anywhere Sunday morning so we usually stay out late and when we get home, we'll have a snack and cocoa while watching a movie. It's the simple things we enjoy the most.

As I got to work, I clocked in, then met up with the doctor who I assisted. 

"Well don't you look rough. Tough morning?" He asked. He's not just my boss or mentor but he's become a friend. 

"You could say that. It's nothing I haven't dealt with." I said probably trying to convince myself more than him. 

"You know, the offer still stands for you and your sister to stay with me and my family if need be. You know, to save money for yourself." He said and I could tell he was pleading but it's just been Mary and I since my parents died. 

"I appreciate the offer, sir. I just don't think it would be a wise decision. You have a family of six, I can't do that." I said and I started to chew on my lip. Damn nervous tick. 

"If you're sure…" He said and I sighed. I knew I reminded him of his brother but that's for another time and why he's more than a boss and mentor. 

Making my rounds, I did all there was to do until I came to a part of the hospital that was unfamiliar to me but it's where my patient was.

"Hello?" I asked as I knocked. 

When I pressed my ear to the door and heard nothing, on instinct I walked in and was soon met with an angry looking guy. 

"Get out…" He growled and I was soon escorted out by Michael, my boss. 

"Sorry about that, should have told you I'd take care of your last patient." Why though? It's my job. 

His neck in a neck brace, right leg, and right arm were broken, cuts all over his face, arms, and honestly…he definitely looked handsome with his injuries. 

"Who is he?" I asked. I know I should be worried because if looks could kill. I'd be dead. 

"No one exactly knows but his files were all meant for higher doctors." He said and that just intrigued me more. 

"You mean like a celebrity?" I asked and he shrugged his shoulders.

"I have no idea, he's been here for a week now and no one comes to see him, he doesn't get any phone calls either so I don't know. I don't even know if anyone was notified about him being here since no one has come to visit or call him. It's sad really, being that injured and no one comes to visit especially during the holidays? I told my wife about him and she has me bring him a plate of food and he eats it, more so than the hospital food so at least he has someone looking out for him. It's not enough though, he seems depressed but who wouldn't when you seem like you're alone?" He said and I felt my heart breaking, no one should be alone. What about him made me want to help him? 

I guess that'll be my new mission in life and I pray I come out alive and he's not a mobster that can have me killed.