Moon Flower Prt22

Happy Halloween

POV Alex

I didn’t feel any different then I did when I was…normal. I could see a little better, hear a little better, but other then that it was just like being human. I didn’t have super strength or super speed. The only big thing that changed was my eyes. They didn’t look like and ink spill or two beetles, they looked pearly and full of life.

I pulled myself away from the mirror and looked up at the clock. It was just past three, which meant William would still be in his study and I needed to ask him something. On my way two my door I put my dress in my wardrobe with my mask on the shelf. I walked down the hallway with my question nudging at my mind. Maybe I wasn’t even supposed to be here; maybe it wasn’t even supposed to be me.

I stopped in front of William’s study and tapped on the door.

“Come in!” I heard from the other side. I slowly opened the door and stepped in.

“Hello Alexandra” he said. “What can I do for you?” He gestured to a chair in front of his desk and I slowly sat down. His study was lined with book cases and old paintings, at the back a big oak desk sat with the Moon Flower carved in the wood. I sat in a small wooden chair playing with my own hands.

“I was thinking about the prophecy,” I hesitated. “What if it wasn’t supposed to be me? What if it was supposed to be Helen?”

“I wondered if you would clue into that,” William said. “Helen isn’t as old as you are; she was only re-born three times. The first time she was your aunt, the second was when the prophecy was predicted and the third is this time.”

“But that makes her just as old as me,” I said.

“With people like you age is however many times you are re-born,” said William.

“Oh so I am like…,” I thought for a moment, “two hundred or something and Helen is only three?”

“Exactly,” he said. “Now I have some party planning to do so if you don mind, ill see you at supper.”

William got up from his desk and walked over to the door, holding it open for me. I walked out followed by William. William turned the banquet hall but I went the other way. It was Halloween today and the whole manor was buzzing with excitement, even Jezebel and Trey were out helping.  I walked to the den to find Dolly and Mark getting supplies out of the closet.

“I take it your parents are letting you guys stay together?” I asked Mark.

“After one hell of a fight,” he said. “I think they are still mad about it.”

“They will eventually shake it off,” I reassured him.

“Let’s hope,” Dolly said before she stepped down and grabbed scissors in her already-way-to-full hands. I grabbed them for her and her and Mark started to the door. I tagged along with the scissors in hand.

“Oh!” Dolly cooed, “I can’t wait!”

“Well you only got five hours left to wait,” I sang. I had to admit, I was pretty excited, too.

“I know I am so excited!” she shrieked.

“Dolly,” Mark choked out. We turned around to see him bent forward from the weight of everything he was carrying.

“I will take those,” I said as I walked over and grabbed half his pile.

“Thank you,” he said as he straightened up.

We dropped off the stuff in the banquet hall and headed for and early supper. Since everyone was busy we had to make our own supper so Dolly and I were cooking for ourselves when Jezebel came in the kitchen, red hair bouncing around her shoulders and a smile plastered on her face.

“Did you ever get a dress?” I asked Jezebel as she sat on at the table.

“Yes, I brought one back from…,” she hesitated, “…where I was before. Its classified info, if ya’ know what I mean.”

“I see,” I sighed. “Since we don’t really know one another, would you like to get ready with Dolly, Lori and me?”

“Only if it’s in my room,” she smiled.

“That’s cool with me,” Dolly said while she dished out mac n cheese for everyone, and giving each person a bowl.

“So far we have a DJ, a food table, and dance floor,” Jezebel filled us in.

“Sounds like a high school dance to me,” I sighed into my bowl.

“Wait until you see it when it’s finished,” she cooed. Another two hours went by with our mindless chatter, eating and cleaning.

“Well,” said Dolly as she wiped her dish water hands on her pant, “I think we girls should get to Jez’s room so we can get ready.”

“It’s only seven,” I said.

“And the dance starts at nine,” Dolly sighed. “Have you ever been to a dance?”

I shook my head and Dolly rolled her eyes, grabbed my arm and dragged me to Jezebel’s room. Jezebel’s room was the same lay out as mine but was darker. Whereas my front wall was stripy and colorful hers was dark red and had a tree shadow painted one.

“What the hell are you doing in here?” growled Jezebel as she walked in.

“We are getting ready in here, remember?” I sighed, shaking Dolly off my wrist.

“Oh…right. I forgot!” Jezebel laughed as she led us to the bathroom. She pulled out a chair and Dolly pushed me into it. Lori walked in with a huge makeup kit and placed it on the counter beside me.

“When we are done not even you fiancé will recognized you,” Dolly said as she dived for the curling iron.

******

A little under an hour later Dolly and Lori put down their tools and handed me a mirror. The girl looking back at me was flawless; her pearly black eyes were surrounded in light purple eye shadow and white eyeliner, her lips masked in dark pink lipstick, her cheek slightly red and her hair in a curly knot on her head.

“You people are amazing,” I sighed, as I handed Dolly the mirror back.

“I know,” Dolly sang. “It’s Lori’s turn!”

“I forgot my dress,” I sighed, Dolly and Jezebel were already attacking Lori’s face so I decided it was safe to sneak out. I poked my head out the door, checking for the guys, and bolted to my room. The door was lightly ajar but I didn’t think much of it. I pushed it open and walked to my wardrobe.

Hanging on the wardrobe door was a picture. I ripped the picture off the door; it was a picture of me. It was taken on a camera that spits the picture out. This one couldn’t have been taken less then five minutes ago; my hair and makeup were both done and I was standing in the hallway. Scribbled over my shoulder was: Happy Halloween Alex.

I looked over my shoulder and stuffed the picture in my back pocket. Grabbing my dress and mask I bolted to Jezebel’s room.