|40|

PATRONUS

The friendship may have been patched up but it was different now. They ate in silence, their past selves hardly recognizable. It wasn't comfortable silence either, it was extremely awkward but yet no one had a thing to say.

The tired brunette spooned eggs into her mouth, absentmindedly glancing over at the Gryffindor's table. If there was one major difference between the two houses it was the noise levels.

Currently the lion's table was bursting with vibrant people and chatter while Eva sat at her own table, Many Slytherins had a permanent frown etched on their faces, their voices not much more loud than a mumble.

She longed to return to that state of happiness, when her trio actually participated in amusing things and were fun. Now as Eva glanced at the two across from her, they looked as if they had, had a run in with a dementor.

Wanting to feel a moment more of false joy, Eva allowed herself another look. She caught the eye of a certain red-head, Eva wanted to look away but felt compelled to stare right back.

He scowled at her but this time he wasn't jokingly doing so. Eva was feeling insecure now but she supposed she had walked herself into this mess.

The trio walked silently to DADA, each attempting to break the ice.

"You saw Professor Lupin over break" Jessie stated casually.

"I was telling you I was invited to the Potters, he was there" Eva replied, Adam looked bored.

"He looks homeless" Adam commented rudely.

"Must you be so cynical?" Eva asked slapping the boy on the shoulder.

Eva told Jessie all about her arguement at the Potter's house and her conversation with Narcissa while Adam didn't care enough to ask but Eva believed he was going through enough at the moment to take an interest.

Eva entered the familiar classroom, taking her usual seat with Adam and Jessie. The Gryffindors seemed to already be seated and were sending some nasty looks towards the trio.

"They're glaring holes through Adam" Jessie whispered. Eva shrugged, after all Adam did tell Fred Weasley he was going to kill him.

Once everyone was seated, Lupin entered the classroom. He marched to the front where everyone could see him.

He looked at Eva, she sent him a hesitant smile. Lupin looked wearily at the two Slytherins sat on either side of her, having heard about what they had done to Eva.

"Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and are well rested!"

The Gryffindors hummed their responses, Eva decided to interact aswell causing her housemates to glance at her strangely.

"Ever heard of being nice?" Eva growled at Adrian Pucey a row behind her.

"Wouldn't exactly say that's your strongpoint Smith.." he jeered back. Eva impulsively began to get up off her chair, Jessie pulled her back down forcefully.

"As you know dementors are scavenging the grounds in an attempt to locate Peter Pettigrew.."

Adam began to grip his quill tighter in his left hand, snapping it in two places.

"Is everything okay Mr O' Donnell?" Lupin asked unimpressed.

"Fine.. sir" Adam replied defensively. There was ink from his pen all over the table, some on his robes. Eva watched confused as Adam clenched his jaw, what the hell was his problem?.

"Now Dementors are vile creatures, one wouldn't want to receive a kiss from them. So this term I have decided to teach you all to protect yourselves, while I am assured they won't touch you on campus.. one can never be too sure"

Eva grinned, this lesson sounded like it could potentially be very rewarding.

"Now the incantation is 'expecto patronum- he studied the hesitant faces, "- indeed it is a mouthful I understand".

"Sir surely there's more to it than that?" Angelina questioned cheekily.

"You must think of your happiest memory, focus on it and let it consume you"

"Why are the snakes here then?. Surely there happiest memory would be slaughtering a muggle-born or something?"

"McLaggen that's quite enough" Remus warned the cocky boy but the real attention was on Eva Smith who was so red, she looked like she would combust.

Eva had been too nice, for too bloody long.

"And please do enlighten me, what the brilliant and talented Mclaggen means!" Eva asked placing a hand on her heart in faux admiration.

"Well perhaps I didn't mean you, you're far too gorgeous for that even if you are a snake"

"Stop it Cormac!" Fred growled roughly.

"I see you take pride in being the world's biggest wanker" Eva began. "So Mclaggen please do me a massive favour".

"Anything!" He winked.

"Take your arrogent, insufferable self and get Seamus Finnigan to blow you up by my request and when that's done take your privilege and shove it so far up your arse, so that anymore of your bullshit wouldn't dare leak out"

The Slytherins began to cackle at the bright red boy.

"But of course those instructions might be a tad bit too complicated for those with the same iq as a goldfish, my bad a piece of grass actually"

"But a piece of grass can't possibly hold an iq number?" he whispered.

"Right you are!" Eva exclaimed, by now almost everyone in the class was laughing at Cormac who looked to be in tears.

"You're such a bitch!" Cormac whined.

"You're such a bitch" Eva mocked savagely, looking at the Weasley twins who were dying with amusement. She began to laugh alongside everyone else.

"Please see me after class, Ms.Smith"

Author's note,
Firstly I want to say
a massive thank you
to anyone who has stuck
with this book, we are
so close to 100k it's so
surreal.

For those asking when
Eva is going to find out.
It'll be happening sooner
than you think, so please
bare with me!

I love you all so much xx

-Sophie