|19|

HER LIFE

It was around the middle of October and the whole school had been wondering what was wrong with Eva Smith. Yes, she still attended class although while her physical body was there it seemed she was not all there mentally.

She often missed dinner and no one had any idea where she disappeared to, as usual no one cared enough to ask but they were well able to gossip about her recent disappearances.

Harry often watched his supposedly 'estranged sister' with curiosity when she did show up for dinner which nowadays was becoming rare. He continuously reminisced on the conversation he had with his father a little over a month ago.

James had given Harry the Marauder's Map to keep an eye on the older Slytherin girl but Harry didn't want to interfere in the girl's business.

Of course Jessie and Adam knew all about what was happening, Eva had told them all about the traumatic experience with Pettigrew and how he had told her that her mother was a Slytherin.

While the students deemed Eva as being 'depressed'. She was in fact in the library almost every night, reading through yearbooks and school pictures dating back to 70s.

Eva was determined to find her mother and if this was the way to go about it, then she would sacrafice all her time for it. Eva almost missed quidditch practices during the weeks.

Although Eva thought it a matter of time before someone caught her in the deed. She felt scattered lately, like she only had one purpose. There was a certain red-headed Gryffindor who missed her big ego around the school.

Remus had been writing to James at any chance eager to update the man about the girl. Remus noticed the exhaustion present on Eva's face during her DADA lessons and how her grades were noticibly dropping.

James himself had been stressed, he had been requesting an interview with the department of magical law and enforcement. In an attempt to access Evangeline Mayweather's files.

Although the Ministry didn't seem to want to give into the man's request, It all seemed so suspicious. Eventually they did so when they received a very 'friendly' letter from Lily Potter.

So now James was sat in front of the head of the department, eager to find information.

"What is it we can help you with Mr. Potter?" A stern looking man asked the celebrity.

"I need to access Evangeline Mayweather's files please, the ones from the night she um.. died"

The stern looking man eyed him scarily, which made James nerves jump.

"And were you any relation?" He asked.

"She was.. used to be my girlfriend" James clarified. The man nodded and began to look through his files. James watched carefully, as the man pulled a brown envelope out.

Written across the envelope was 'confidential'.

"Unfortunately Mr.Potter I can't give you access to this certain file, it is the ministries property as you can see clearly"

James became angry, 'confidential' ? Something was definitely wrong. Impulsively James ripped the envelope out of the man's hand. The stern official knew he had fucked up letting the man get the parchment.

Although he wasn't about to attack a celebrity.

James began to scan through it. It was her basic file, his heart ached when he reached the photo section showcasing pictures of her frail, dead body.

His finger reached the word imperio curse. He scrunched his eyebrows in confusiom as he read on.

'Deceased[Tom,Rita,Evangeline Mayweather]. Rita Mayweather believed to be under the imperio curse, causing fatal crash. Cause of death drowning and ultimately childbirth'

Now that was a new detail, when the news of her death reached Hogwarts. The boys had been told it was just a simple car crash and Eva had died along with them.

James did have his suspicions that the Ministry had covered the whole accident up. This confirmed it, childbirth had been written on the page. It proved Eva didn't die along with them.

He came to the last paragraph.

[known relatives]- Eva Smith [under muggle care]

James was so angry, in fact he was furious he threw the file at the ministry official. He stormed out of the place he had previously worked. How could they be so awful as to hide someone's life from them.

It had been a huge coverup, that much was obvious to him.