Cold In My Professions

This is the letter we all know (and love) but is it actually an indicator of a romantic relationship? Or just the language of men during the time period?

Cold in my professions, warm in ⟨my⟩ friendships,

-This is often considered to be romantic though based on the time period "being warm" in one's friendships was a lot more common. When compared to other letter written by Hamilton the use of this type of romanticized language isn't uncommon.

I wish, my Dear Laurens, it m⟨ight⟩ be in my power, by action rather than words, ⟨to⟩ convince you that I love you.

-This is the part everyone is convinced by but again, this is not uncommon for the time. Men "loving" eachother platonically was very common. Of course there likely were exceptions for those attracted to the same gender, but in most scenarios this isn't even close to being able to consider proof.

I shall only tell you that 'till you bade us Adieu, I hardly knew the value you had taught my heart to set upon you.

-Again this language was very common platonically, the style of writing makes it appear more romantic because it seems "fancy" but thats how all of Hamilton's writing comes across.

Indeed, my friend, it was not well done. You know the opinion I entertain of mankind, and how much it is my desire to preserve myself free from particular attachments, and to keep my happiness independent on the caprice of others.

-Possibly the strongest indicator in this letter is Hamilton's use of the term "particular attachments" which leads one to wonder of what variety those may be. On the other hand this could be Hamilton writing "fancy" again.

You sh⟨ould⟩ not have taken advantage of my sensibility to ste⟨al⟩ into my affections without my consent.

-More of Hamilton being such a good writer with such vivid detail, possibly romantic but also very possibly not.

But as you have done it and as we are generally indulgent to those we love, I shall not scruple to pardon the fraud you have committed, on condition that for my sake, if not for your own, you will always continue to merit the partiality, which you have so artfully instilled into ⟨me⟩.

-Id say about the same as the last note.

So in conclusion, I don't believe the "i love you" is out of the ordinary. I think this letter could go either way and it is popular but definitely not the best to prove their relationship as the language is similar to many straight letters of the time.