Chapter 5: Nonokai Arc (Part 2)

Pedalling a bit further, I manage to get back on track on where I was about to go. Though, wanting the still shaking Nonokai to calm down, I stop by a play park I passed along the way. We both sat down on a nearby bench.

“Again… you found me out.” Nonokai said trying to lighten the mood.

“Nono, why didn’t you tell your classmates, the student council even? They could’ve helped you get out of this…”

“If I did, then I would’ve lost the only home I can go home to!!”

“Nono…”

“I wanted all that pain to stop! I wanted to end everything! B-but, where else can I go?! My parents are both dead, and that man is the only one whom I have left!!”

“But that man also gives you this pain you want to end so badly!! Look at your arm!” I forcibly took her arm.

“S-stop it Seto!” she pushes me back and shrugs off her arm.

“I want to help you, Nono. So please let me help!”

“W-what help can a first year high student like you offer me?!” True, what was it I can offer Nonokai, which only I can do?

Without saying a word, I stood up and bought one bottle of water and one canned coffee at a nearby dispenser. Making my way back towards her, I placed the can on her face.

“Here, you might be thirsty.”

“…” she didn’t utter a word. I really must’ve pushed her this time.

“Show me your arm.”

“N-no.” she hides it away behind her back.

“Regardless, I’ll be taking it anyway.” I once more took her hand forcibly, folding the sleeves of her tattered uniform.

“S-Seto..!” she tries shrugging me off, but I held her hand tightly.

“Stop resisting, Nono!” I opened up the bottled water I bought earlier on and poured it gently on Nonokai’s blood stained arm.

“Kft…” she makes this sound as if it did sting a lot. Her face was showing it a lot.

“Does it sting?”

“Just a little bit…”

I took out my handkerchief and wrapped it around her arm to stop it from bleeding for now.

“There. All done.”

“S-Seto, your handkerchief… it’ll get soiled.”

“You mind my handkerchief and not yourself? Some candidate you are for presidency.”

“What are you implying, Seto? Are you saying I really am no good?”

“If you continue acting like that, I will really do my best in winning that stupid election!”

“But you said you didn’t care about those kinds of things! Were you lying at me back then?!” she started to lose it and so was I. But trying to understand her situation, I did my best to keep my calm and not let my temper get the best out of me.

“Of course not! I thought you’d be the best one suited for being the president!!”

“Then why do you say otherwise?! I don’t get you at all!!”

We both became silent for a moment; I cooled my head off and tried talking with her, this time with a different approach in mind. But before I had the chance to break the ice, she was the one who took the initiative.