Chapter 9: Usuho Arc (Part 3)

Being put in a position wherein you scale in what it is you truly want and what it is that you need to do wasn’t the place I wanted to be. Though, I can’t avert this situation any longer and I will need to decide what truly mattered to me.

“So, are you having a hard time now, boy?” Usuho’s grandfather asked me sounding sarcastic. I knew he was the cause of all the misfortune falling out on me and everyone around me.

“As if you didn’t know you were the reason for all of this.”

“Now now, I’ve come to ask you once more. Will you be willing to negotiate with me?”

“And why does it matter to you?”

“Wouldn’t you want to get back your ratings up? Wouldn’t you want a job to your father? I can help you get those back, just as long as you stay away from my granddaughter.” I do want all of those things. But to stay away from Usuho, even without getting the chance to tell her how I feel, it was just too cruel in my part.

“Be the stubborn little kid that you are, many other people will suffer too. Shall I start with… let’s say, Kakiko Setsu perhaps?” then my heart started to feel broken.

“W-why are you involving her?!”

“I always get what I want, Seto. Now will you accept my conditions or let her share the same burden you now carry?”

“Is loving Usuho worth all this?” I started to ask myself. Will my love for her carry on and endure? Will I let go of these feelings for her, without even having the chance to tell them? I had to decide now.

“A-alright… I’ll accept…” I bit my lip a bit.

“You’ve made a wise decision, Seto.”

“Though… I want one more thing to add.”

“And will that be?”

“Help me win our student council election…”

“Hmm… very well. Starting tomorrow, our deal will be valid.” He said with a pleased voice and soon I left his limousine and they drove off leaving me to stand there in front of our studio. I went inside the studio, sulking over whether my decision was right or wrong. Kakiko soon arrives and sees me sitting at the sofa.

“Seto, is something wrong?” she asks me placing her hand on my shoulder.

“N-no. Everything… everything will be fine.”

“Eh?”

I knew she wouldn’t understand what I meant, not till tomorrow comes that is. That night ended the same, me taking Kakiko home and then going home myself; seeing my dad on the sofa still looking for jobs in the newspaper and on the internet using his laptop. I went to my bed, lying there without even changing. I gazed on the ceiling as my dark room was soon illuminated by the moon’s dim light.

“Tomorrow… will be fine…” I said that to myself several times till I didn’t notice I fell asleep and tomorrow soon arrived the moment I woke up.

I stood up from bed, wanting to take a bath first. As soon as I left the room, I saw soon my dad rushing his way towards the door.

“D-dad?” I called him out as he looks upstairs at me.

“Oh, Seto! You’re awake huh?”

“Y-yeah, why are you in a rush?”

“I just got a call from a company I applied for! I’m off!!” He said going out of the house.

“Geez, he seems like a little kid isn’t he?” my mom soon said coming out of the kitchen.

“I-I guess…” I guess something really did change. Though, that was only the beginning. The following weeks, our rankings soon toppled the rankings, having our manga back on the top 10.