Chapter 2: Prologue (Part 2)

My first day of school; I thought I wouldn’t run into any trouble but, alas, I bumped a girl with my bike because of my own carelessness. We both were going to school, but with her sprained ankle which I was entirely my fault. She was there with me, sitting at the back seat of my bike; the sceneries change as I slowly pedalled our way towards school.

“Hey.” She then said, by which she was referring to me.

“W-what is it?”

“You’re a first year right?”

“I’m really sorry!! I didn’t mean to hit you with my bike I swear!!”

“What are you apologizing for? Seto Kai of Class 1 – B?”

“How did she know my name?” I asked myself. Even my own class, as if she knew who I was all along. A stalker perhaps? But, why would stalk me when I’m just a normal 16 year old student that works as a mangaka.

“H-how did you know my name?” I reluctantly asked her.

“Oh, you dropped your passbook earlier. I picked it up for you. Here.” She said handing over my passbook.

I stopped for a while and took it saying my thanks as a sign of appreciation. I started pedalling once more.

“Do you like watching at falling sakuras, Kai?” she asked me out of the blue.

“W-well, it’s just a waste not to admire them. How about you?”

“I feel the same way.”

We continued conversing until we arrive at our school. I placed my bike at the side of the main building, locking it in place on one of the metal bars. She stands up all of a sudden, taking her bag along.

“W-wait! Let me take you to the infirmary first!”

“Thank you for the generous offer, but I believe I can walk there by myself.”

“Don’t push yourself. You sprained your ankle.”

“But thanks to you, it doesn’t hurt that much anymore. I can walk there perfectly fine.”

“B-but…”

“Well, if you really feel sorry then let me walk there by myself, and then we’ll be even.”

“S-still… I’ll accompany you to the infirmary.”

“But I can walk-“

“My club is near the infirmary so it would be like I was going in a different location.”

“You… really want to do this?”

“I do.” I said in a stern voice.

She just sighs and continued walking. I followed her closely, slowing my own pace. She has a somewhat unbalanced gait, probably from the pain of her sprain yet somehow, she goes on as if she was just pushing the pain away. I do admire her willpower, though if she really was in pain, I could pitch in and help her out. But, looking at her eyes earlier, I couldn’t, rather, I wouldn’t. It was a first seeing another strong willed person other than Kakiko.

We climbed up the second floor, made a left turn as we reached the top. The infirmary was nearby and with that, she stopped on the doorstep of the infirmary.

“You’re a good liar, Seto Kai of Class 1-B.”

“L-liar?”

“You… don’t need to your clubroom after all, am I right?”

I pulled out a frank smile. “You got me.”

“Still, I appreciate the gesture. I thank you.” She goes inside the infirmary leaving me there.