Chapter 8: Usuho Arc (Part 2)

Days drew nearer towards the election proper and we, the newspaper club, are making progress with our campaign. We managed to get the full support of all the second years thanks to Usuho’s efforts. The first years have a little bit of support from me but majority still lied on Nonokai a bit. Every lunch we planned on things that will get the attention of the first years in electing me as we were the majority in terms of vote counts.

I enjoyed it little by little, even though I was a bit tired after school; that was when my second role came into play. Going to the studio day by day drawing our weekly manga series was a tough job. Kakiko finished faster for many weeks now, giving me ample time to draw the manuscript and ink them without dropping the quality for each manuscript. Our ranking still improved and remained, which was great since we could do both two tough things at the same time.

Ever since that day I said that I’d follow Usuho, she seems nicer to me and a bit sweeter than usual. She even cooked me a boxed lunch during one instance.

“Here.” She said giving me a neatly tied box lunch.

“Is this… what I think it is?”

“Yup, a boxed lunch.”

“You… made this?” I looked at her as if I doubted her.

“I may be an idiot at some areas, but don’t underestimate my ability to cook, Kai.” She said taking another boxed lunch for herself.

I soon unknotted the tie and opened the boxed lunch and saw 3 pieces of fried pork cuttings, a small celery salad and a few octopus tentacles served on the side. I picked up my spoon and fork and picked up one pork cutting and ate it.

I was blown away with what I tasted, each bite took me into a different world, that was all in my mind.

“T-this is delicious!!!” I soon forgot my table etiquette and ate the food like some slob, savouring each bite.

“H-hey slow down a bit!” Usuho said but it was too late, I finished eating that instant.

“Whew… it was really good Shibu!”

“Geez, what a glutton…” she then somehow looked like I have something on my face.

“Hold still…” she slowly stretches out her hand towards my face, picking up a stray rice on one of my cheeks and eating it. I felt kind of embarrassed for some reason.

“S-sorry…” I blurted out.

“No worries. You really are a kid aren’t you?” Usuho said patting my head like I was one of her pets at home.

Not only did we do this a couple of times, but also during dismissals, wherein she would invite me in walking home. Somehow, I enjoyed taking her home, well not directly. I just took her as far as the station.

Soon, I realized that something was changing. Whenever I wake up in the morning, all I could think about was another chance to spend my time with Usuho. It was like my life revolved around her now, when before I just drew manga every week. Somehow, these feelings for my upperclassman grew and grew until I’ve decided to tell her how I feel. Again, I said to myself, that I’d find the right time to tell her these feelings I’ve come to develop each and every day.

Ever since, I became more aware of Usuho’s presence, spending even more time than the usual routine we have been doing during this campaign. Though, one afternoon, something unexpected eventually came into surface. After taking Usuho to the station I was on my way to the studio where the impatiently waiting Kakiko writes on her desk.

“I’m back!!” I said greeting her cheerfully as I catch my breath.

“So, did you enjoy taking Shibu home?” Kakiko asked me sarcastically.