Chapter 4: Nonokai Arc (Part 1)

That morning assembly ended and all I could feel is the burden I now carry because of my nomination. As I went down the stairs, I found Kakiko waiting for me back stage along with Shibu.

“S-Seto…” Kakiko seem worried.

“Shibu what is the meaning of this?! I didn’t ask for any-“ she bows down in front of me and replies.

“Please Seto! I was desperate and…”

“T-this isn’t right Shibu! I can’t possibly win against Nonokai!” Indeed, as she had half of the third year’s vote and of course many of our fellow first year students back her up.

“Don’t worry! I have connections in helping you win this election!!”

“You don’t mean…”

“Yup, the second years are going to back me up because of your manifesto.”

“M-manifesto?” I didn’t know that term.

“It’s the goals you will do when you get elected.” Kakiko explained.

“I don’t even have one yet!”

“Oh you do. And almost everyone wants it so bad.” Shibu smirks.

“Which is what exactly..?”

“Restoration of all the clubs here in school, of course that includes the newspaper club!”

“T-that’s my only manifesto?!”

“Well, we’ll think of something to add. Anyhow, please Seto revive the newspaper club!!” Shibu bows down at me, asking me for my help. And here I was thinking of how to cheer Shibu up earlier this morning. I guess there’s no turning back then.

“F-fine… if you’ll help me win, then there’s no harm in trying… I guess…”

Thanks Seto!!” she hugs me like a little kid getting the thing she likes. I look at Kakiko and she just smiles awkwardly and gives me a thumbs up.

Classes continued afterwards, with all that awkwardness pointing at me. Even at my own class, everyone was rooting for me. During lunch as well, even when I was about to buy some bread at the cafeteria, I just couldn’t stand everyone looking at me like that. I couldn’t ask Kakiko to accompany me today; she was eating with some of her friends somewhere around the school. With no particular else to go, I decided walk aimlessly and somehow I find myself walking at the second floor corridors.

I was about to head down towards the school yard when I bump on someone on the way down stairs.

“Ouch!”

“S-sorry! Are you-” I stopped there and I bumped into Nonokai who was reading some papers. She somehow drops her papers and her bag.

“Seto?” she said as she looks at me.

“Nono, are you okay?”

“Y-yeah, nothing serious. Sorry, I was the one not paying attention.” She quickly picks up the papers she was reading, I helped her of course. I reach out for her bag and gave it to her.

“T-thanks.” I accidentally held her hand and somehow it felt like underneath those sleeves were bandages. Did she cut her arm?

“No problem. Why do you have your bag around?”

“I’m… carrying… personal stuff…” She said sound very suspicious as if she was concealing a weapon inside her bag.

“And you don’t trust your classmates with this personal stuff you have?”