Chapter 10: Kakiko Arc (Part 1)

“How did it turn out like this?” that was the question going on around my head. Why did I have to run an election I’m not even interested in? I sighed a bit and went down the stage backstairs and I saw the worried Kakiko waiting for me there.

“S-Seto…”

“Kakiko…” I couldn’t find the words to say, rather, I didn’t want to talk about it, for now at least. As I looked around I couldn’t find the culprit to who made me a nominee.

“Where’s Usuho?” I asked Kakiko.

“I couldn’t find her. I guess she owes you an apology.”

“I don’t need an apology, an explanation’s what I need.” I sighed deeply and got a bit down.

“A-are you okay?”

“Do I look like I’m okay?”

“Sorry.” She nods her head down; that was just a bit cruel of me. I didn’t mean to lash out my frustration on her. I impulsively grabbed her by the shoulders and wrapped her around my arms.

“S-S-S-Seto?!” she started panicking a bit.

“Sorry, Kakiko. I didn’t mean to lash my frustrations on you…” I said sounding apologetic. Sensing that my apology got through her, she hugs back and answers.

“I’ve been around with you for 10 years. If I didn’t know about your uncontrollable sarcasm, who else would?”

“Hey, I’m not sarcastic.”

“Well, you are a little bit; you just don’t realize it yet.”

“Thanks for being there to stick around me.”

“No worries.” Soon after we let go of each other and soon joined the other students in going out of the gymnasium. All that time, just even walking around the corridors and going to my own classroom, these uneasy gazes still made me uneasy.

Class soon started after a few minutes of just arriving at our classrooms. Even though the teacher was going on with his lectures, everyone kept on murmuring things about me being a candidate for election. I was the hot seat topic for everyone in the room. All throughout of the class during the morning, this feeling of anxiety; the bell soon rang and it was lunch break.

Looking over Kakiko’s seat, I guess she was being invited by her friends. I caught her looking at me, and soon our eyes connected that instant and she averts her attention back to her friends. I looked down on my desk and sighed; I decided to sleep out in my desk.

Soon I heard footsteps approaching me. The moment I looked up, I was surprised to see Kakiko in front of me.

“Aren’t you going to eat Seto?”

“K-Kakiko..? I thought you were..?”

“O-oh, well I declined their offer for now.”

“But why?”

“Well, you seemed lonely.”

“Are you trying to comfort me here?” I asked her.

“I am, honestly I’m trying really hard.” She said with a plain straight face.

“Returning my sarcasm earlier?”

“Come on, loosen up a bit.” Kakiko said sitting down on a seat next to mine.

“I am… though it’s easier said than done…” I bowed down as I felt a bit down because of the turn of events. She then showed her lunch box and unveiled its contents.

“Well time to eat!” she said as she picked up her spoon and fork. She soon started eating, while I was still sulking a bit, my body didn’t want to eat at all.