Chapter 11: Kakiko Arc (Part 2)

Taking Kakiko in her house that day, we said our goodbyes and I went home afterwards. Thinking about our conversation earlier, I did wonder of what our future as manga authors would be. Will be able to continue what we’ve been doing for two years? Will we able to make manga as our source of living? Too many question bothered me, all except for one; that we just have to keep on going on and trying our best every week.

The following day, my campaigning starts as a president candidate for the student council. Together with Usuho and Kakiko, we all did our best in promoting me to be voted as president. Honestly, my heart’s not really into being the president. I prefer to draw manga, but because of my upperclassman’s request to go along with Kakiko’s never ending support, I probably motivated myself with just that and did my best.

Going to the studio even after a long and hard day of campaigning, I drew the manuscripts as Kakiko finishes them. Going at it at a slow but steady pace, we always finish on time and submit it to our editor.

As weeks go by, my constant routine of early waking for my campaigning and my late afternoon activities as a manga artist has been taking its toll on me. My eyes would go blurred at some times in between school lectures; I had perfect vision though so it wasn’t because of any eye condition. Fatigue was starting to kick in my normal routine every day.

I was still eating properly, though I was lacking sleep. Even Kakiko started noticing it during one of our meetings with our editor. During the duration of that meeting, I found myself feeling drowsier than usual; subconsciously, I must’ve fallen asleep in between that meeting.

“Seto?”

“…”

“Seto? Are you okay?”

“Wha-“

“You look really tired, Kai. Are you sure you’re fine?” I soon tried shaking myself off this sleepiness I was feeling.

“Y-yes, I’m… fine.”

“Well, let’s continue then. Over at page 15…” that meeting continued on and I couldn’t help but notice Kakiko constantly gazing at me. I decided to keep it to myself until we went home for that day. The meeting didn’t take that long to end from that point onwards.

“Well then, I’ll be taking this manuscript, just fax me the revised pages I’ve told you to do.”

“Good work today!” We both said in unison to our editor.

“I hardly did any work when it comes to you two. Hahaha.” He laughs it off and looks at me afterwards.

“Kai, rest up whenever possible okay?”

“Y-yes! Of course!”

“Well, then I’ll be taking my leave.” He took his coat from the coat rack near the door and left the studio, leaving me and Kakiko alone there.

“We should clean up now, Kakiko.” I said patting her on the head as I walk by pass her; she tugs me by the sleeve I was wearing as if she was trying to stop me.

“S-say Seto… are you really okay?”

“Yeah. I just need sleep that’s all.”

“Let’s call it a day? You really look tired.” She insisted on doing so, even though it was just 6 in the evening.

“It’s still early and I still need to redo the pages. Around 8 perhaps?” I tried bargaining with her.

“B-but we still have time tomorrow, right?”

“I still need to campaign at school and I need to start the manuscript for next week so, now’s really the right time do to this revisions.”

“B-but…”