Chapter Seven: Road Trip

Malak's curiosity was going to get the best of him again. He knew it.

After his discovery of the town, Zion decided to buy a car and drive them there. It was the young angel's first car ride which he was excited for. However, he quickly realized that cars got cramped and uncomfortable after a while. Malak decided, in order to ignore this feeling, to let his mind wander. He also decided to ignore all his pessimistic thoughts which he hated so much. He and his demon had a talk about what he was feeling earlier, and it did help him quite a bit; however, they needed to talk more once they were alone.

Due to all the time he had, Malak's mind wandered to the fae sitting in the back seat. He still had no clue what a fae was or really who she was. The need to know was overwhelming for the angel, but so was the need to prevent him from getting hurt again. If his demon didn't hate socializing with others, Malak would've asked him to ask the fae all his questions. But he knew his mate wouldn't be comfortable doing that. Malak was the social one, not him.

He timidly grabbed his mate's hand which was resting in between them. Nervously playing with his mate's fingers did help the angel calm down slightly. There was nothing wrong with asking her a few questions. Right? Right.

"Um, do you mind if I ask you something?" The angel shyly asked the fae.

She looked up from her book and smiled at the angel, hoping to ease his nerves. "Of course," she replied. Though she had only spent a short amount of time with the mates, she noticed a few things about them. Specifically, the angel wasn't antisocial like the demon, who just seemed to dislike everyone but the small angel. Instead, he was incredibly nervous and hesitant. He seemed to overthink things when he was stressed and constantly held himself back for some reason. But every once in a while, the angel would have a moment where he would forget about his troubles. In these rare moments, he always had a huge smile on his face and always talked continuously to his mate, only stopping when his mate would say something back. She believed that was the angel's real personality shining through; however, something happened to him to make him hesitant to show it. Of course, she wouldn't ask what as that would be rude. But she wanted to make him comfortable around her so he could relax more often.

"What is a fae?" He inquired. His voice was almost too quiet for her to hear due to his nerves. Zion could sense this and was proud of his mate for still asking. Even though it'd only been a few days since they were kidnapped, he missed his angel's overwhelming curiosity.

"Well, there are two different kinds. There's the light fae, which I am, and the dark fae. Light faes are all about order and control, while dark fae prefers chaos and going with the flow. Light fae also prefers to help the humans. We try our best to help the sick, elder, and unfortunate. While dark fae tends to use humans for their rituals and some eat them; however, we banned that thousands of years ago. Both types of fae have a special connection to nature as well. That connection allows us to have some magic like for me, I can grow plants and talk with animals. Dark fae can also dark with animals but they don't have enough control to grow plants. They can suck the life out of someone just by touching them, but it takes a lot of energy. The rest of the magic we can do most is just potions."

The angel's eye grew wide from excitement. Faes was extremely interesting! Almost all his nerves were forgotten by the time she explained everything about her species. Ellette also seemed happy to talk about it. Now that all her people were gone, she wanted to spread stories about what they were like.

"That is very fascinating. Thank you," the angel said with a smile. He still didn't trust her nor did he want to. But he was more accepting of the fact she was going with them.

She smiled back, feeling happy that the angel was more comfortable with her. "Of course. I enjoy talking about them," she said. "Do you mind if I ask you something?"

He wanted to say no. So badly, he wanted to say no. But he didn't have the heart. Hesitantly, he nodded his head while Zion rubbed his thumb over the angel's smaller hand.

"What are angels like? I've heard stories but I've never got the chance to meet a real one," she asked. Though she immediately regretted asking when she saw the angel tense. His nerves spiked up once more, and all the progress they had done was quickly undone just by a simple question. Trying to his worries a bit, she assured him, "Don't feel inclined to answer if you don't want to. I'll understand."

The angel gave her a shaky smile. He didn't want to be rude. "Um, well, I was not raised like other angels, so I only meant a few. But they were um, not the nicest beings," he answered.

"Most angels are egotistical as-jerks," Zion grumbled while glaring at the road.

"Oh," the fae said. She was speechless. Out of everything she thought about angels, that definitely wasn't something she thought. "If I could ask one more thing, why are your wings different colors?"

The angel shrugged, "I do not know. Zion's are like that as well though."

"It probably has to do with our gifts and shit," he replied, receiving a small squeeze on his hand from his mate. The demon gave him an apologetic smile before turning back to the road. He knew his mate hated cursing because of his guardian. But the demon was used to cursing every time he spoke. It was a bit hard to stop himself. "Well, as lovely as it is to socialize," he said with sarcasm. "We're here."