12

HAZEL POV:

"I bought us some fritters!" 

Superboy flies up to us and plops down on the ledge of the roof next to me. He waves the treat in front of my face, about to set it down in my lap when I interrupt him.

"You can have mine." I smile.

His jaw drops in surprise. "Hazel Cotello, denying the offer of free food? Who even are you?"

Damian scoffs, his cape fluttering in the wind. "Don't discourage her newfound ability to control herself."

I huff, elbowing Damian in the ribs. Considering he was Robin, he should've blocked the attack, but I guess he just wasn't good enough. Heh.

"Ow." He growls over at me. 

I stick my tongue out at him teasingly. "You deserved that."

"So, can I have your fritter?" Jon asks, cutting through Robin's glare. I nod and Jon's face lights up even more.

"Tell me why we're even here with you." Damian looks away, scanning the scene below  We sat on the GWRC rooftop ledge, tucked away from view, the three of us hanging out.  To our left, the Bay waters crashed up against the shore, and to the right, we could see the city skyline rise up through the dim clouds.

I'd visited the Cave two days ago, Damian reluctantly taking me in order to get me to shut up.

To be fair, if you found out your friend was a masked, crime-fighting vigilante along with Batman and they had a badass lair, you'd want to check it out too.

Let's just say Bruce was not too amused when he saw me there. At first he thought that Damian told me, but then I shut him up and took the credit for it all. Because really, it was I who figured that shit out.

I got big brain. 

Alfred smiled over at me then. He's a boss bitch. He knew that I'd figure it out. I love that guy.

Jon got all excited after he saw me down there, and he was so happy to finally tell me the truth. 

It only made me feel bad, because I couldn't tell them about mine. At least, not yet.

Robin did not have a high sight of metas (I wasn't a meta, per se, but he'd categorize me as one). I was dangerous to Bruce etc., as Bruce explained in a lengthy lecture the day I went down to the Cave. I still had no idea who Eli was, and why I was branded.

Brands are targets, something to distinguish someone from the rest.  A bullseye painted on my back, but I have no clue who'll fire the shot. It didn't heal with my enhanced healing, so I doubt it was just a burn, it had to be something related to magic.

And what the hell did the Aztec Sun symbol mean? Was I gonna be sacrificed to some old-timey gods?

Ma was hiding something about Eli, that was for sure. Why did she make him promise to stay away from me? 

And this whole new shit with Robin being my best friend and Superboy being my other best friend, it was a bit nerve-wracking.

If they really were so good at their jobs, they could easily figure me out and lock me up. They'd get furious because I never told them about my predicament when I knew about theirs.

And I had a lot more going on behind the scenes. Being the top hustler in L.A. definitely had its downsides. Sure, I only hustled messages, and legal things, but being unregistered and a freaking kid was definitely against the law.  Damian would find out soon and tag me as a criminal.

I'd lose everything I'd built with Damian. And strangely enough, I've grown to care about Pretty Boy's opinion on me. He cares about me, he proved that, and frankly, he's the first rich boy to ever be like this.