11

HAZEL POV:

Ma was the one who found me, slumped against the bed, faintly glowing blue. She freaked out, hurriedly getting me back together.

She told me everything.

How I was out for a day, how there was a fresh brand of a Aztec sun on my back, how she quickly explained to the cops that my guitar amp malfunctioned and caused a mini sonic boom (I have no idea how they believed that one, but they confiscated the amp, which honestly was upsetting. Cops here are true idiots).

She told me about Damian and Jon and the jocks, all of whom came pounding at my door, demanding to see me, and how she turned them away.

My back was dressed with fresh bandages, and I felt strange, so utterly strange, when I woke up. Ma was next to me, clearing up my bedside table and setting a tray of cocoa onto it.

Are you alright? She signed. Was it another overload? I thought you had grown out of that...

I prop myself up on my elbows, looking over at the newly installed windows and at the dark night outside. I slept for a full 24 hours, it seems. "I guess not." I sighed.

"Ma? I know you might think this is my imagination again, but I- I saw someone. In the ball of light I was in."

Ma raised an eyebrow. What sort of someone?

"Someone in a trench coat."

That could've been anyone. She signed, gently checking my temperature.

"They wore a necklace, Ma. A gold lyre."

Ma stiffened, avoiding my gaze.

"You know them, don't you? "

From a long time ago, sweetheart. You don't need to worry about him. He promised to stay away.

"Stay away? What did he do? Who is that guy?" 

I told you, you don't need to worry. She took a sip from her cocoa. I paid for the windows, don't worry about that either.

"Ma, can you at least tell me his name?"

...When I knew him, he called himself Eli. She signed, looking away as memories flooded her vision. 

"Eli. What an unsuspecting name for a guy who branded me." I huff, downing the cocoa in a few seconds.  I was beyond  starving, and Ma seemed to know that too. 

There's chili in the fridge. I'm going to go get it out. Stay. Here. 

She glared over at me, daring me to try to move around on my own. I shrunk back under the covers. I was not going to go to a battle of the wills against my Ma so early into my renewed consciousness, so I just nodded.

"Thanks, Ma. I love you." 

I love you too. 

*******************************************************

*DAMIAN POV*

28 hours since Hazel Cotello stormed out of the Manor after getting concussed. 28 hours since I haven't been able to reach her.

She's been quiet in the Otter Bois group chat. Her mother wrote down that she was sleeping, showed us the note and shut the door in our face. She hasn't spoken to anyone,  and that was a feat unto itself, since Cotello didn't know how to shut up.

Something was up. 

Cotello is definitely hiding something. 

The way she slammed Kent off his feet, the way she glared at me before she disappeared from the Manor- it wasn't settling right in me. She'd given me that same, dark glare that I saw once before on her face, when I asked her about her possible combat training and she'd gotten all unsettling.