4

DAMIAN POV:

"There go the otters, Damian! Look, look at them go!" Kent jumps up and down gleefully and Hazel laughs.

I stand near the shade of the large oak tree, watching as the other two wildlife workers start packing up. The otter family that the GWRC relocated swim away in the water, squealing over to one another and splashing in the shallows.

Kent has already managed to garner a connection to the Hazel girl, laughing and talking amiably as the relocated otter family head on their merry way. Sometimes I wonder how he does it so readily.

She turns towards me, her brown blond curls whipping in the wind. "So, Dominic-"

"Damian." I snap irritably, staring her up and down. She was a good head shorter than me, but something about her just felt off, as if her height deceived those who judged her for it. As if her height and demeanor was directing one's attention away from something else.

She grins, brown eyes flashing in the sparse rays of sunlight that weave their way through the thick cloud cover. "Right, sorry Dames. Anyways, we're about done here, and we're heading to the Center. Jon's coming with us too, do you wanna come with?"

"T-t. Fine."

*********************************

We exit the center, the sun hanging in the near middle of the sky, the cloud cover seemingly disappearing, if only for an hour.

Hazel was nothing short of friendly towards both of us, but I won't fall under her spell so easily like Kent did. 

There is something off about her, and I will get to the bottom of it.

I stroll in front of them, leading the way over to the bus station. Pennyworth was to pick us up after we called him, but the Hazel girl was the one to take public transit, and Kent insisted we drop her off.

She calls over to me. "Hey, Dames, whatcha running from?"

"I do not run from anything. Also, my name is Damian."

"Well you certainly have a different definition of that sentence. You're walking significantly faster than us two. What, are ya scared of me? Dames?"

"I am not afraid of anything either."

"I call bull." She teases.

 Kent is smiling, and Hazel gently nudges his shoulder. "Hey, is he always so grumpy?"

Kent giggles. "All the time."

She cackles. "Do you see something here? Connect the dots- he likes green, he's grumpy, he hates having fun, he's got that permanent scowl- good gracious! He's a Grinch!"

Kent erupts into laughter and I spin around on my heel.

" I am not a Grinch, you preposterous buffoon!" I snap. Was she seriously calling me that green sock creature that looked like a tall deformed bean? The one that Grayson forced me to watch, the one where the green idiot tried to steal Christmas? 

I've known her for less than a day and yet she's already calling me names? 

Not even Kent was audacious enough to do that. No female had even thought of doing that, as many of them were infatuated with me from the beginning! I was Damian Wayne, prince of Gotham, son of the Bat, grandson of Ra, not a Grinch!

But as I glare over at her, I can see it is not heartfelt, that she's just teasing light-heartedly. Her eyes are bright and glittering, capturing the sunlight from above and her smile is....quite adorable.