15

DAMIAN POV:

"Robin?"

"Lil D!"

"Dames!"

I groan, stirring up from the floaty pit of darkness that I was suspended in before, slowly opening my eyes to find myself face to face with Kent and Grayson.

"He's awake, he's awake!" Kent rejoices, blinking away welling tears in his blue eyes. "I thought you died!"

I cough, squinting against the overhead lights. "Where am I?"

"The Cave infirmary. You went missing at the gala, and we found you dressed as Robin, lying unconscious in the middle of an alley with a known criminal." Grayson gently ran his fingers through my hair, the feeling more calming than I'd like to admit.

"Well, I signaled for you guys to come help me, why didn't you?" I push myself up on my elbows, spotting a relieved looking Father standing by the Batcomputer and Drake typing away.

"There was a strange pocket of no service around where you two were. As if the radio waves were... twisted out of there."

Kent hovers at my side, ready to catch me if I fell. I feel warm at his concern, but I look directly at Grayson.

"That girl's a meta."

"We figured. She's in Arkham's most heavy-duty dampener cell right now.  B will go interrogate her after."

A sudden wave of dizziness washes over me and Kent immediately grabs my side, supporting my weight. "You should lie down, Damian."

The night's events come flashing to me, and immediately I bite back the rising bile in my throat,  heart beating faster.

"Hazel. Hazel!" 

I wrench myself out of Kent's grip and try to wrestle out of the cot, panicking.

"Where is she? Where is she?!"

"Damian, calm down." Grayson grabs my shoulders and pins me down, ignoring my thrashing as if it was useless. "You need your rest! We have no idea what hit you!"

His words fall upon closed ears, nothing but flashbacks echoing through my mind.

Her scream, her smile, her horrible, horrible, sobs.

The gunshot that echoed through the alleyway.

The blue that slammed into both of us, shattering Rel's shield and slamming me into the concrete.

Blue.

Her blue.

"Hazel-" I manage out, falling back against the pillows, realizing that Grayson wouldn't let up and that Cotello was something on a whole other level.

So many questions, unanswered. 

How come she never told me? What even was she?

His bottle blue eyes stare sympathetically at me, and Grayson gently lets go.

 "What happened last night-"

"Hazel was with you, wasn't she?" Kent cut into Grayson's query, eyes locking with mine, reading almost everything I left out for him to understand.

The Cave grew quieter, listening as Kent slowly pieced the jigsaw pieces together.

"She had to have run first, because otherwise you wouldn't have gone out as Robin. That means that Haze knew the criminal girl somehow." 

Slowly clearing my throat, I look down at my hands. "Rel is her ex-girlfriend."

"Oof."

"Drake, you little s-"