Chapter 8 - Everybody's Fool

After leaving the restaurant I headed towards the hospital. I had so much anger in my system that I just had to get it out of my system, there was a huge part of me that hoped Ian was in fact in the ER right now working on a patient and Ambrose was lying to me proving to me once and for all that he was just messing with my head. I put my car into park before walking through the ER doors, it was busy as usual. I looked around and he was no where to be seen, I started to bite my upper lip as I walked further into the department before bumping into a young Doctor. 

"Wow, you okay?" He asked, a smile growing on his lips. He was cute, dark brown hair with dark brown eyes. I felt myself blush as I heard him laugh meaning he caught me check him out. "I'm Doctor Anderson, Matthew Anderson." He extended a hand towards me to shake which I gladly accepted. 

"Angelina, Doctor Angelina Rollins." I grinned as his eyebrows rose unexpectedly. "I'm a psychologist. I could not deal with the blood."

"It does take a strong stomach." He laughed gently taking my arm and pulling me over to the nurses station so that I was no longer in the way. His touch was different from Ambrose, it was sweet but I didn't get excited, there was no fire. "Can I help you? You looked a bit lost coming in there." He smiles, placing a few files on the counter looking up at me with such soft, caring eyes. For a moment I completely forgot all the emotions I felt coming here, the anger just subsided and I felt at peace. 

"I was looking for a Dr Harkin actually. Is he about today?" I asked tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I saw his face scrunch up in confusion as his mind tried to work out who I was talking about. I felt this sinking feeling in my stomach, Ambrose was in fact telling the truth. 

"Uh, I'm personally not familiar with them. Do they work in the ER?" He asks scratching behind his ear. Sighing I turned away from him briefly biting my lip holding back the tears but I couldn't I was upset that three years of my life was nothing but a lie. A huge lie. "Oh, come on." Matthew sighs pulling me into the small family room and holding the tissues out for me to take one. "Everything okay?" He asked and I just stood there shaking my head. 

"This is so stupid I don't even know you." I laugh dabbing my eyes. 

"You know us doctors we are good listeners." He jokes walking over to take a seat and patting the spot next to him. "Especially within your field." He made me laugh as I sit next to him, placing my bag on my lap. 

"I've just been told today that my ex boyfriend was a huge liar. He had lied to me for the last three years and I just needed to come here and see if it was true and well it is. He wasn't even a doctor. How stupid am I?" 

"This is that Doctor Harkin you were talking about?" He asks. 

"Yeah, I honestly believed he was a doctor. He even had people here come up to him and hand him stuff to sign and ask him questions and I fell for it . Hook line and sinker." 

"That's fucked up. Excuse my language but damn." He gasps, wide eyed. "How did he get away with that?" 

"Money, apparently people here would kill their own mother to get some." I tell him using the words Ambrose used with me earlier this afternoon. 

"Doctor Anderson, Doctor Kyle needs to see you in cubicle three for a second opinion." A nurse poked her head the door. Nodding his head, she quickly left the room before he turned to face me, a tight smile on his face.  

"I'm sorry but duty calls." He sighs as we both stand to our feet and make our way out the door. He stood to the side allowing me to leave first. "Wait, I know it's probably too soon but  can I have your number maybe?" 

"Absolutely." I smile lifting the pen from the pocket of his scrub top and taking his hand and writing my number down. "Call or text." I grin with a nod. We hugged goodbye before I exit the hospital and practically skip to my car. It was amazing how shitty the start of my afternoon was to how much better it got within a matter of hours. 

Once I arrived home, the smile never leaving my face as I checked my phone and noticed a message from Matthew.

Hey Angelina just a quick message so you have my number. I really enjoyed meeting you today and I can't wait to meet up again. Matthew.

The smile continued to grow on my face as I exited the car making sure it was locked before unlocking the front door. Walking in I lifted my post off the floor that was pushed through the letter box and noticed a green file, like the ones I used in my office. Bending down I picked it up and peered inside, it was a file on Ian Harkin. I wasn't stupid, I knew who delivered it and to be honest I was grateful now I could get to the bottom to the man that played me for a fool for the last three years.