Chapter 5 - Don't Lie To Me

Its been a few weeks since I found out about who Mr Ambrose really was and I hadn't seen him since, something I was incredibly thankful for as it gave me time to think. I decided against my better judgement and I actually went to see my ex Dr Ian Harkin who was nothing but sympathetic towards me for once. I learned that Ian actually worked for The Shield for the last four years doing odd jobs to pay off a debt but he wouldn't go into detail about what the debt actually was. Despite our history, Ian gave me what he called friendly advise and that was not to piss Ambrose off so if he tells me to do something, do it basically. I told him about the last time I saw Ambrose and about the note he left and I watched the colour drain from his face as he told me to listen to what the note said otherwise I would suffer as would the people I loved most. I wanted to question him further but he was called away for an emergency so I decide to leave and go back home, only to be greeted Amelie. 

"What the hell? You've been avoiding me?" She growled wide eyed. I apologised to her before inviting her into my home. "Are you okay?" She asked the anger of me avoiding her quickly dissipating and concern taking over her features. 

"I went to see Ian today..." I started but she cut me off. 

"Why would you go see that miserable asshole. Did he do something?" She hissed giving me a disgusted look. It was no secret there was no love lost between the pair, once Amelie found out he was beating me she kicked him in the balls so hard I doubt he will ever have kids.  

"No...what? Yeah he did but that's irrelevant." I shook her off. My mind was going into overdrive as I tried to think about what I was going to do. I didn't want to hang around here and have some lunatic popping in and out of my life therefore the only thing I could do was run. Its been something I've been thinking about since I had that encounter. "I'm in trouble Amy, like really big trouble." 

"What do you mean?" She asked, her face still held one of anger that I would actually reach out to Ian before her but that wasn't the case I believed I was protecting her. Over the last few weeks I've been trying to avoid her because I was afraid I was being watched and I didn't want to get her involved in this whole fucked up situation but at this point what choice did I have? 

"Remember that client I was telling you about. He's from Shield." I say just above a whisper. I knew I was breaking confidentiality but she was the only family/friend I had and I had to tell someone who wasn't involved in all this shit to give me a fresh perspective. Obviously Ian would say do what I was told because he knew what they were like after spending four years with them but he was also speaking from fear. 

"You're kidding? The Shield?" She asked matching my low voice with a laugh, her face suddenly dropped to that of fear when she realised I wasn't joking. "How the fuck did you end up there Angelina? What fucking shit have you been up to?" 

"Ian. Ian referred him to me and he told me who he really was the other week. I tried running but two others appeared boxing me in and he just left and when I got back to my office there was a note telling me not to run." I tell her going over the scenes in my head from that day in the office. I was terrified, the last I expected was for Ambrose to come out with that, then there was the thought of why did he want to meet me? What was that about I wasn't anything special?  

"Be thankfully it's not the top dogs otherwise you'd be fucked." She let out an airy laugh looking me dead in the eyes. She laughed uneasy noticing I wasn't correcting her, her laugh turning into moaning. "Which one?" No one really knew what the top guys in Shield looked like, it wasn't common knowledge and that's how they liked it as it gave them an element of surprise. 

"I can't tell you Amy you know that." I sigh, it wasn't that I didn't want to tell her but I already divulged they were from Shield that was more than enough to get a suspension and God help me if Ambrose found out I told her, I'd probably be six feet under.