Chapter 2 - D A

I sat looking into the rich blue eyes of Mr Ambrose who refused to say a single word since he arrived for his appointment this afternoon. As he sat there, I noticed a few injuries on his hands.  I was curious, I wondered mentally what happened as I went over ever mark on his hands to the smallest detail. I heard him chuckle as he separated his hands from one another and holding them up for me.

"All you have to do is ask. " He smirked looking at his hands before looking over at me. I felt myself swallow a lump of saliva, shifting in my seat I cleared my throat. I waited for him to continue but he just continued to stare, the smirk on his face growing. Was he trying to play a game with me?

"Okay Mr Ambrose, I'll bite." I nodded with a sigh, scratching under my right eyebrow before making eye contact again. "What happened your hands?"

"All in a days works" He chuckled running a hand over his face leaning back onto the chair.

"And what is it you do for a living?" I asked after he fell silent once again. I noticed a dark glint in his eye at the mention of his work but it disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

"I'm in construction."

"Construction." I repeated with a head nod and small smile. "So you work with your hands a lot. Do you enjoy it?"

"Very much" He smirked the dark glint returning at the thought of it. As he stared at me I could feel the darkness drawing me in, it was very alluring. "Something wrong?"

"Oh no, excuse me Mr Ambrose I don't know what came over me." I chuckled nervously sitting back on my seat.

"I think I know what it was." He smirked leaning forward, his elbows on his knees as he looked from my eyes to my lips, travelling south. Instinctively I grabbed the top of my red blouse pulling it up towards my neck. "Reds your colour." He stated leaning back, placing his hand on his face. I felt my breath hitch in my chest, the smirk hiding behind his hand.

"How'd you get into construction Mr Ambrose?" I asked completely ignoring his words. I was still trying to gain this man's trust so it was best not to entertain most things he says but they got to me. My heart rate had increased rapidly after what he had said mere moments ago and the way he looked at me, it was a good thing I could hide my feelings otherwise I would have visibly shivered. 

"My father." He replied almost as if he was bored. His tongue resting against the side of his mouth, his face stone.

"How is your relationship with your father?"

"Fantastic." He laughed sarcastically. "Do you want me to tell you how daddy beat me for being a bold boy and mummy didn't give a shit? Is that what's wrong with me Doc?" He snapped getting to his feet, leering over me. I felt myself push back into the chair, fear consuming me as he looked down at me with almost black eyes.

"Mr Ambrose, please return to you seat." I asked, trying to make myself sound a lot more confident than I was feeling.

"Why?" He asked taking a few steps closer to me. Out of fear, I jumped from my seat and walked behind it. He just tilted his head, laughing before raising his hands in defense and walking back to his chair. He watched as I stood there for a moment before gesturing to me with his hand to take a seat and I found myself following his instruction. "Good girl." I heard him mutter under his breath.

"Maybe we should leave the subject of your family until your ready to talk about them." I spoke out loud airing my thoughts. His words good girl, grating on me in the back of my mind, who did he think he was talking to? This was my office. 

"Whatever you say princess."

"Please call me Angelina or Doctor Rollins." I asked calmly, I felt my shoulder twitch as I spoke. 

"Alright, Angel....lina" He trailed off, I could tell what he was doing so I had to fight ever instinct within my body not to react to him. He was working his way under my skin and let's be honest it was starting to work but the last thing I needed was for him to know that. 

"Have you had any blackout this week?" I questioned after a few moments of silence. I looked at the clock over his shoulder, he noticed following my gaze he found the clock, a smirk on his face as he faced me once more.

"Almost time" He grinned looking down at his hands and back into my eyes. "To answer your question, yes I had one or two." He grinned flexing his fingers, allowing me to see the cuts and scrapes once more. Where those caused by the blackouts?

"Do you want to talk about what happened with them?" I prompted, silently hoping I could finally scratch the surface and get somewhere with him.

"Another time." He moaned stretching as he stood to his feet and walking towards the door. "Until next time." He smirked with a wink and walking out the door.

I sat, my mouth open I ran my tongue along the bottom of my top teeth. Mr Ambrose was probably one of my most infuriating patients and I have only had two sessions with him. I ran a hand across my forehead rubbing it slightly  when a knock came to my door. I glanced at the clock, I didn't have an appointment until this evening.
Sighing I got up and opened the door, a huge bouquet of red roses greeted me.

"Flower delivery for Doctor Angelina Rollins" The guy stated, once I confirmed my identity he handed them to me before handing me a receipt to sign. Placing the flowers on the small table next to my door, I grabbed and signed the document.

Closing the door once I had the chance I couldn't stop myself staring at the flowers.
It sounds cliché but roses happened to be my favourite flower. I inhaled the scent, a small smile appearing on my lips as I did. I looked around and found a small card tucked away at the back, taking it out it was simply signed,

DA