Chapter 10 - Panic

I held my hands to my mouth as I listened to my regular client talk about the morning he was having but I was only half listening as my mind constantly wonder to the kiss I had shared with Ambrose earlier this morning. It was like a drug and I was having withdrawal from him already. I ran my hand over my mouth as I adjusted my sitting position, my client's lips were moving but I couldn't hear a word he was saying. I glance at the clock breathing in a sigh of relief as our time was up.

"I am afraid that is it for today Mr Carr." I tell him once he finishes his last sentence. I watched as he nodded disappointingly it was obvious he had more to talk about but he understood that I had others to deal with today.

"Same time next week Doc?" Mr Carr asks with a small smile on his face. He wasn't one of my most serious cases, he could function without needing to see my on a daily basis unlike a few other's I had.

"Yes, see you then." I smile standing to my feet and walking to the door and opening it for him and biding him farewell. I was about to close the door when someone pushed their way through. Instantly I panicked thinking it was Ambrose or one of his goons but when I saw the wave of dark long hair I relaxed. Amelie.

"Well you have been M.I.A lately. What's going on?" She asks taking the seat Mr Carr had previously been sitting in and placing two coffee cups on the table.

"Just been busy with work" I tell her with a shrug. I didn't want to tell her anything that has happened between Ambrose and I nor who Ian really was. I didn't want to drag her into this mess anymore not after what happened the last time I told her about Ambrose.

"I don't believe you."

"Well it's the truth. I have thrown myself into my work since dismissing Ambrose as a client and he hasn't been around since thank god." I tell her with a sincere smile on my face. I could lie when I was protecting the ones I loved. I could tell by the look on her face she wasn't sure whether or not to believe me. "I promise."

"Okay then." She trailed off lifting the coffee to her lips and taking a drink. "I just can't believe Ambrose would just leave like that."

"Obviously I am not worth his attention."

"That's like the best news ever." She laughs with an eye roll. To play along with the lie I forced myself to laugh along with her. "Has Doctor Douche been annoying you?"

"Actually no.I haven't heard from him either. Things are finally going back to the way they were."

"Even better news." She grins crossing her legs over one another and resting her back against the chair. "So I have some news, I think Derrick is going to propose tonight and we are having dinner tonight at The Quays"

"Really?" I question, a genuine smile growing on my face. The Quays was one of the most expensive and romantic restaurants in Las Vegas. Anyone going there was either rich or had a reason and to be honest Derrick and Amelie were a great couple, not perfect but great. There is no such thing as a perfect couple, everyone had their faults and they were no different.

"Mm hm" She mused happily, taking another drink of coffee. "He has been dropping subtle hints here and there and has been really secretive."

"I'm happy for you." I smile taking what she said with a pinch of salt. If he has been dropping hints then yes it was possible but the secretary was what bothered me but then again when someone is proposing you do hide things from them so it could all be innocent.

"I want a big white wedding."

"And knowing you, you'll get it." I laughed shaking my head at my friend.

We chatted for a few more minutes before I had to ask her to leave due to another client arriving. We agreed to meet up tomorrow for lunch and she would also call me tonight after her date to let me know whether or not she was an engaged woman.

************

My last client of the day sent me a message cancelling the appointment so I decided to hang around and finish some paperwork that I have been putting off the last few weeks. My back was beginning to ache so I raised my arms in the air and stretched before glancing at the time, 8pm. I groaned loudly as I hated going to the underground car park at night, it was creepy and dark. Looking around my office I thought about whether or not I would just spend the night here but decided against it as I had no clothes for the following morning.

Grabbing my purse and briefcase I threw my jacket over my arm and cautiously made my out into the hallway, the lights automatically coming on due the sensor. I locked the door of my office behind me and hurried along to the car park. I practically ran as best I could in heels down the three flights of stairs and walking into the car park. I noticed my car and another car across from me, I felt myself gulp as I looked around for any signs of life but there wasn't any. I started to panic so I ran towards my car and just as I got it unlocked the lights on the other car flickered on. My eyes immediately went wide as I unlocked my car and jumping into it, hitting my knee off the steering wheel in the process. I immediately locked the car doors behind me, trying to catch my breath as the car in front of me drove off, leaving me alone. I was a paranoid mess.

I placed my hand on my head relaxing back against my seat as I tried to regulate my breathing. I run my hand through my hair before reaching forward and putting my key in the ignition, turning the car on and driving home. The radio was playing softly in the background slowly helping me relax; I cracked my neck a few times during a red light before finally making it to my street and into my driveway. I grabbed my things and unlocked my front door, ready for a big glass of wine after the day I had.

Sighing softly, I placed my purse on the table along with my keys. I threw my briefcase on the ground and hung my jackets on a hook by the door only to turn around to a weird sight in front of me. Before I left this morning, the pillows on my couch were on the ground as that was where I left them last night but now they were sitting neatly on the couch. I cautiously walked further into the room; nothing else was out of the ordinary. Maybe I picked them up this morning before I left and just couldn't remember. Shaking the paranoid thoughts from my head I walked into the kitchen and noticed the dishes were done and put away, now I know I didn't that.

Panic ran through my veins as my eyes widen again, I started to back up to leave the kitchen as I didn't know if someone was still in my home or if this was one of Ambrose's sick jokes but I wasn't going to hang around long enough to find out. I turned on my heel to run towards the door only to be stopped by a hard chest, I felt their breath on top of my head. I was terrified, my eyes were squeeze shut but I knew I had to look at whoever this was. Cautiously I took a step back but the person's hands when straight to my upper arms keeping me in place. Swallowing a huge pile of saliva I opened my eyes to be met by the one person I never wanted to see again. Ian.