15

a/n: warning; mentioning of gunshot and suicide. don't read if you're not ok with that stuff.

⋆⋆⋆

You were only eight when you remembered how it all went downhill. It all started when your father got home, drunk, and said he lost his job. You were quite naive back then, you thought your father losing his job means more family time.

But, you thought wrong.

Very, very wrong.

You remembered how your mother widens her eyes and screamed for the first time you were born, "What!? How!? And why!?" she asked. Father didn't respond, he just plops himself on the blue couch. You were even convinced he was gonna sleep, but he didn't.

Mother was still screaming, asking him questions but father was just there looking blankly at the ceiling. He looks like he was out of this world, and you felt chills by seeing how blank his expression is. This was your first time seeing your happy father looking so dead. You felt someone tugged at the hem of your shirt, it was your brother.

"Let's go to our room," He said, you protested but he looked at you warningly. You know something was wrong, you can feel the tension in the air and it was your first time seeing your parents like that, but unlike you, your brother looks like he was calm and it's like he expected it already.

You wanted to cry, to scream, to shout, anything, so that everything could stop, but it looks like your brother already seen you getting teary-eyed so he quickly pulled you to the room the both of you shared.

When the two of you got there, your brother immediately locks the door. You pushed and ask him why is he doing that but your brother was only looking at you and calmly said, "Look, Y/n. Whatever happens next, remember that everything happens for a reason," he firmly said, but you swear it feels like he was convincing himself more than you.

But, as a child, you pretended you didn't hear anything and just run to your bed. There, you just cried and cried all night. You knew your brother was still standing at the door, but you didn't get to see him because you fall asleep.

The next day, you thought everything will turn back to normal, mother cooking the food you loved, your father and brother teasing you to some random kid in the neighborhood that you made friends of, you getting shy but will love it nonetheless and every day will just be filled with laughter's, but unfortunately it's not.

Instead, there was no food you loved, there was no happy laughter's but instead, you were greeted by your aunt that you remembered seeing last time when your family decided to drop her off at the airport, she was supposedly in the United States, so why is she here now?

She smiled warmly at you, although it looks like she was about to cry seeing you, "We should go since you're awake now," she said, you were confused and what made you confused more is when you saw your brother just standing there. No emotions can be seen.

You were about to ask him, but he moves towards you and urges you to follow them. Panicked, you tried pulling yourself away from him, but you stopped when you felt someone behind you, it was your mother.

You felt like you would cry seeing your mother but you hold it back, "Mother! Is it true we're going away?" you ask, your mother looked at you longingly before forcing herself to give you a small smile and nod, "We will go to our new home Y/n," she said.