4. BREAKFAST & BLUDERS

Lucy hated Mondays

Lucy hated Mondays. The day began miserably when Arielle shook her awake to inform her that she had slept through her alarm. She hurried to get dressed for the day, pulling on her robes and a silk headband in order to keep her ringlets of hair at bay.

Her heart skipped a beat, as she nervously trotted down the dark hallway into the common room. Arielle and Pansy were long gone, yet to her surprise, Draco was sitting on the couch reading the Daily Prophet.

His piercing eyes clashed with her own from over the top of the newspaper. A wave of goosebumps came over Lucy as she made her way for the door.

"Are you going to breakfast?" Draco asked, placing the newspaper down just as she went to stride past him.

"Er—yes, actually," she mumbled, glancing up to meet his intense gaze.

"I'll come with,"

He jumped to his feet and followed her out the common room door and up the stairs to the dungeons. He glanced over at her and raised his eyebrows inquisitively.

"Sleep well?" he questioned as they began to walk up the great cobblestone staircase.

"I guess so," replied Lucy as she noticed just how close he was to her. "Did you?"

Portraits moved upon the walls around them, and Lucy blushed as she focused her gaze on a giraffe grazing from a tree.

"No," Draco told her solemnly. "I had a lot on my mind,"

"Like what?"

"Nothing," he snapped, glaring down at his polished leather loafer.

A scowl overcame his face as he led the way down the staircase to the Great Hall, walking quite a few strides ahead of her.

"Oi! You lot!"

Lucy glanced over her shoulder to see Roger Davies, a dark-haired Ravenclaw, hurrying over to them.

"Hello, Roger," greeted Lucy politely.

"Hi," he answered dismissively. "Seeing as we cancelled the Prefect meeting on the train last week, I thought I'd give you two your patrol duties,"

He thrusted a scrap of parchment into Lucy's hand.

"Thursdays from nine to midnight," he continued sternly. "Remember your duties well. And don't forget, as Head Boy, I do have the ability to take your role away at any moment if I see fit,"

"Right, thanks, Roger," Lucy smiled weakly. "We'll be there, won't we, Malfoy?"

Draco nodded stiffly, looking throughly annoyed with the entire conversation and the Ravenclaw in front of him.

Roger scanned their faces for a moment before clearing his throat and striding away.

"Wonder what he's got up his arse this early in the morning," Draco muttered as they entered the Great Hall.