30. INTO THE NIGHT

"Out of here, quickly," came the voice of Snape as he breezed past them

Lucy blinked, stunned at what she had just seen. Her fingers were still intertwined with Draco as they followed the greasy-haired professor down the stairs of the Astronomy Tower. Her body moved on its own accord as she felt Draco tremble in her hand. Greyback, Bellatrix, and the Carrows followed in pursuit.

They quickly reached the end of the spiral staircase and entered the dimly lit corridor which was full of dust. It looked as though the ceiling seemed to have fallen in, yet she did not have time to look around. More bodies and rubble had joined the floor. The moment the Aurors and Professors occupying the room spotted the group, a battle raged once more.

She quickly dodged a curse as Snape urgently grabbed Draco's arm, tugging on Lucy in turn. Meanwhile, the Death Eaters behind them began to send curse after curse towards the witches and wizards. She recognized students, friends of Harry Potter, had joined the fight as well. They were quick to parry the curses rocketing towards them, courtesy of the Carrows.

With extreme precision, Snape weaved a path through the rubble-filled chamber. Lucy glanced down to the floor in horror at the bodies lying there, one of them floating in a pool of blood. She had no doubt it was the work of the werewolf Greyback. The squishy liquid stuck to her shoe, leaving bloody footprints in her wake. Her hand trembled in Draco's as Snape tugged them along.

Loud shouts and bangs erupted as the two sides battled once more.The chaos was overwhelming, and Lucy was still too stunned to speak. Why was Snape helping them, when he had just murdered Dumbledore only moments ago?

"It's over, time to go!" Snape shouted as they disappeared around the corner at the far end of the corridor.

As they disappeared from the scene, all Lucy could hear was her own hammering heart, and she hoped that Draco could not hear it. Then again, she could not blame him for feeling the same fright that she did. Just as they made a turn down an empty hallway, a suit of armor before them exploded. The force of the blast sent Lucy flying backwards, hitting a wall and causing a sharp pain to erupt upon the back of her head.

"Ow," she groaned softly, brushing the dust off of her legs.

"Lucy!" Draco cried out fearfully, who had been knocked over in the explosion, yet not nearly as severe as her. He rushed over to her as stars danced around in her eyes. Behind her head felt oddly warm all of a sudden and it throbbed with pain.

"Get her up!" barked Snape impatiently.

Draco carefully helped the raven-haired girl to her feet, his eyes filled with worry. Lucy realized she was still able to walk, but her head felt painful and dizzy as they continued down the corridor. She cursed to herself that she was holding them up as they made their way down the grand staircase leading to the Great Hall. Lucy wondered where they were going, were they leaving Hogwarts? She could not help but let her thoughts wander to what Arielle and her other friends would possibly think.