35. THE NEW HEADMASTER

Things most certainly were different at Hogwarts with Snape in charge

Things most certainly were different at Hogwarts with Snape in charge. Lucy realized this the moment that the ugly faces of Amycus and Alecto Carrow were the ones that she first observed stepping off of the platform. She suddenly missed the bearded half giant, Hagrid, who typically greeted them. Alecto began herding the first few years into boats, and Lucy was horrified to watch her use the Cruciatus Curse on a student that was lagging behind.

"C'mon, let's get to the carriages," murmured Theo, gently tugging on Lucy's arm.

Lucy was shocked to see the carriages were being pulled by dark winged creatures that looked like a mix between a dragon and a horse. It gently flapped its magnificent wings that resembled the wings of a bat.

"They're called Thestrals," announced Theo as he noticed Lucy's curious stare at the creature as they climbed into the carriage alongside Arielle, Blaise, and Pansy.

"Since when did they have creatures pull the carriages?" wondered Lucy. "Did Snape pick  them to scare us or something?"

"What the bloody hell are you on about?" Blaise asked incredulously.

"That thing pulling the carriage!" exclaimed Lucy, pointing to the Thestral.

"Only people that have witnessed death can see them," piped up Theo. "They've always been here,"

Suddenly, Lucy realized why she could see them. She had watched not one but two people be murdered now.

"You saw someone die?"  gasped Pansy dramatically.

"Who-?" began Lucy with a furrowed brow.

"My mother," he replied stiffly, his face crestfallen.

"I had no idea," Lucy whispered. "I'm sorry Theo,"

Theo shrugged, and the remainder of the carriage ride was awkwardly silent.

When the carriages arrived at the castle, the students began to file up the cobblestone steps and into the Great Hall. The normal chit chat amongst students was diminished, mainly due to the fact that Amycus who stood teetering with his wand in hand, sneering at any students that talked. After seeing his sister tortured a first year, nobody seemed to dare to step out of line.

Lucy sat silently at the Slytherin table alongside the rest of her friends. Snape stood ominously at the front of the hall before the podium with his greasy hair covering most of his face. Lucy couldn't help but notice the grave faces upon the staff behind him. 

"Welcome," began Snape, his voice cutting through the Hall like a knife. "This year at Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic has declared that there a few necessary ..."

He paused and Amycus cackled wickedly at his side.

"Revisions," Snape grinned before he continued, "Firstly, please welcome Amycus Carrow, who will be Deputy Headmaster, and will be taking over my former position of teaching the Dark Arts,"