32. SNAKE FANGS

The surprising return of Lucius came at a cost

The surprising return of Lucius came at a cost. Not long after his return home, they learned that they would have the utmost honor of hosting a meeting for the Death Eaters days later. Therefore, on the day of the meeting, Lucy felt rather anxious when she slipped a simple black dress over her body.

A knock at the door startled the raven-haired girl as she finished putting on her earrings. She opened the door to see Draco, who looked paler than his own platinum hair. He was neatly dressed in his usual black suit, laundered to perfection without a single wrinkle.

"We have to get downstairs," he whispered to her, bending down to brush his lips upon her own.

She nodded, tucking a ringlet of hair behind her ear as she followed him into the dark hallway. It was far past dinner time, yet they had skipped the meal in order to ensure the Manor would be ready for their impatient leader. Lucy could feel the eyes of past Malfoys following her as she brushed by their paintings. She dreaded this meeting for various reasons, starting with the fact that her father and the Dark Lord would both be there.

Draco halted at the heavy wooden door leading into the drawing-room, hesitating in front of the silver handle. Lucy gently grasped his hand in hers, giving it a tight squeeze before letting go as he pushed open the door.

The first thing she noticed about the drawing-room was the long and ornate table that replaced her usual favorite armchair. Instead, the usual furniture had been pushed carelessly up against the walls. Lucy could not help but stare up in horror at the unconscious figure of a woman hanging upside down over the table, revolving slowly as if suspended by an invisible rope. Her body seemed to hover right above where Lucius and Narcissa sat rigidly in their seats.

The fire roared beneath the marble mantelpiece, something that would typically make the girl at ease. However, at the sight of Lord Voldemort's red, snake-like eyes and cold demeanor, all warmth left her body. He was so pale that he seemed to emit a pearly glow.

"My Lord," Lucy said in a near whisper, curtsying for him with shaky legs.

"Ah, Lucille. Draco," the Dark Lord drawled. "Take your seats,"

The two quickly slipped into their chairs. Lucy nervously flitted her eyes around the room, seeing if she could recognize any of the Death Eaters seated around her. There was the Carrows, Wormtail, Bellatrix, and various others that she had seen before. Her eyes landed upon Greyback with his matted black hair and yellow fangs and a chill ran down her spine. He sneered horrifically at her as he picked between his teeth with a grotesque claw.

Lucy's hand flew to Draco's underneath the table, gripping it tightly as she stared at the mantle before her. More Death Eaters were arriving by the minute, but she kept her eyes locked upon the embers of the fire.

She only glanced up once at the sound a familiar voice greeting the Dark Lord. Lucy spotted a nervous looking Theo accompanying his father. His hair was not its usually mess, but instead had been slicked back neatly. The two sat opposite of her, and for a moment their eyes met. He gave her a very short nod that was hardly recognizable.